Need Help DLL/Structures

Nezoic

I'm trying to understand how DLL calls and Structures work. I decided to start with something simple like system time.(if it actually is simple).

I've tried understanding the dozens of other DLL calls in various UDF through this board, and altho they seam to make a little sense I just cannot grasp the full logic of them. If anyone could offer anymore explanation of the following code and set me on the right path I would appreciate it.

;System time test
; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getsystemtime.asp
;MSDN - GetSystemTime
;
;void GetSystemTime(
;  LPSYSTEMTIME lpSystemTime ;Pointer to SYSTEMTIME
;);

;typedef struct _SYSTEMTIME {  
;WORD wYear;  
;WORD wMonth;  
;WORD wDayOfWeek;  
;WORD wDay;  
;WORD wHour;  
;WORD wMinute;  
;WORD wSecond;  
;WORD wMilliseconds;
;} SYSTEMTIME, 

$_stimestr = "WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD"
$SYSTEMTIME = DllStructCreate($_stimestr)

$t = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "", "GetSystemTime", "", $SYSTEMTIME)

msgbox(0, "System Time", $t)

I know I'm missing something, and I would guess the actual data in the structure. Where does this data come from within the system?

Also I'm sure my formating is incorrect, was just trial and erroring when I decide to post this :)

Edited by Nezoic

If anyone could offer anymore explanation of the following code and set me on the right path I would appreciate it.

You've do have got a few problems with it. :)

1) $_stimestr = "WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD;WORD"

There is no such specifier like WORD. Legal specifiers are named in AI's Help, in a list under the "DllCall" explanation. In your case you need "short" (a 16-bit integer).

2) When calling the DLL-function you have left both the return-type as well as the (single) argument-type specifiers empty. Currently the return-type one needs to be "none", and the argument-type "ptr" (you are supplying it a ponter to a structure, not the structure itself). This leads to the next problem :

3) You need to provide the structure to the actual DLL-call with another command, being "DllStructGetPtr"

4) You need to retrieve the results outof the structure with yet another command, being "DllStructGetData"

Everything combined could result in code looking like this :

$SYSTEMTIME = DllStructCreate("short;short;short;short;short;short;short;short")

DllCall("kernel32.dll", "none", "GetSystemTime", "ptr",DllStructGetPtr($SYSTEMTIME))

msgbox(0, "System Time", "Date: "&DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,1)&"-"& _
  DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,2)&"-"& _
  DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,4)&chr(13)& _
  "Day : "&DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,3)&chr(13)& _
  "Time : "&DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,5)&":"& _
  DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,6)&"."& _
  DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME,7) _
)
Hope that helps. Edited by BitRot