SciTE editor : adding another file-extension

Hello All,

I would like to, to keep my working files seperate from my files containing library functions (UDF's, subroutines that can be used by other programs, prety-much like currently allso present in the include-directory), give those files another extension. In my case : .lib

Although that is easily done, and there is no problem including those .lib-files into other .au3 sources, there is one thing that is bothering me : When I open those .lib-files with the SciTE -editor all syntax-highlighting is gone.

Not really a problem, I thought, as the settings seem to be defined in a file called "au3.properties".

But alas, the truth was not as easy : no matter what I did (renaming the file, putting it next to the au3.api in the SciTE's api-directory) the editor did what he allways did, seemingly fully ignoring that file.

I even renamed both the found "au3.api" files as well as the "au3.properties" file, and the editor goes on as if nothing changed ...

• Developers

Hello All,

I would like to, to keep my working files seperate from my files containing library functions (UDF's, subroutines that can be used by other programs, prety-much like currently allso present in the include-directory), give those files another extension. In my case : .lib

Although that is easily done, and there is no problem including those .lib-files into other .au3 sources, there is one thing that is bothering me : When I open those .lib-files with the SciTE -editor all syntax-highlighting is gone.

Not really a problem, I thought, as the settings seem to be defined in a file called "au3.properties".

But alas, the truth was not as easy : no matter what I did (renaming the file, putting it next to the au3.api in the SciTE's api-directory) the editor did what he allways did, seemingly fully ignoring that file.

I even renamed both the found "au3.api" files as well as the "au3.properties" file, and the editor goes on as if nothing changed ...

change this line in au3.properties:

file.patterns.au3=*.au3;*.lib

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

change this line in au3.properties:

I allready tried that, and have just done so again, to be very sure. No change. :lmao:

Is it possible it won't work because I'm using the SciTE editor (the depricated one) that came with the installation of AutoIt ?

If you add the line that JdeB suggests into the User Options file then it should use it.

Dow!... Never thought of adding it there. :lmao:

Now I see the "lib" files when selecting the "file types" -mode "Autoit (au3)", but syntax-highlighting is still off. I can switch it on by pressing shift-F12 (switching "language" to AutoIt), but do you know a way to set that as default for the .lib extension ? I did look for something comparable in the "au3.properties" file, but did not find anything.

Thanks.

• Developers

Now I see the "lib" files when selecting the "file types" -mode "Autoit (au3)", but syntax-highlighting is still off. I can switch it on by pressing shift-F12 (switching "language" to AutoIt), but do you know a way to set that as default for the .lib extension ? I did look for something comparable in the "au3.properties" file, but did not find anything.

Thanks.

Syntax highlighting will work for *.lib when the changes I suggested is made ....

The line is at the top of au3.properties:

# SciTE settings for AutoIt v3

#

# September 21, 2006 - Jos van der Zande (jdeb (at) autoitscript (dot) com)

#

#

# *** Specify here your AutoIt program directory ***

autoit3dir=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3

file.patterns.au3=*.au3;*.lib

filter.au3=AutoIt (au3)|$(file.patterns.au3)|

lexer.$(file.patterns.au3)=au3

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Syntax highlighting will work for *.lib when the changes I suggested is made ....

Thanks, that "lexer=" line did it. :ph34r:

By the way : what does the "filter.au3=" -line actually do ? Before your current posting I allready had it changed this way and that, but did not see anything change. I tried your solution with, and without that line, and could again not spot any differences. :lmao:

Thanks.

If this is a multi-user machine, then you can make a "SciTEGlobal.properties" in the Scite4AutoIt3 (the SC1 version) directory and add your Global entries in there. If you want to separate the Global entries as for using multiple languages, then you add "import au3" to the "SciTEGlobal.properties" file that you created, then create a "au3.properties" file and then add you Global Au3 entries into the "au3.properties" file. Entries in these files will overrule the same entries that are internally set.

Per user settings definitely should be in the "SciTEUser.properties" file (User Options).

:ph34r: