Automating software installation ...

Spear

Hi,

I was looking for a free, all-made solution to automate printers installation : once you plug-in an USB printer, windows prompts a window, asking you " do you want ... blabla Windows update " ... then " do you want blabla plug and play ? " ... and so on ... i'd like to have all this done automatically, that it automatically validates the different windows (clicking on the right option, on " next " ...).

The i found the AutoIt scripting language. I'm not much used to scripting, and don't know any language to be honest (except maybe linux bash). So, before i invest much time in this language, do you think that what i want tço do could be done with AutoIt ? If the answer is yes, then it's worth investing time and learning the language !

And, finally, is it what a medium Autoit scripter would call a " complicated taks " or not ? (i'm just wondering, if i start learning seriously, when i'll be able to do it :lmao:)

Thanks for your answers !

Hi,

I was looking for a free, all-made solution to automate printers installation : once you plug-in an USB printer, windows prompts a window, asking you " do you want ... blabla Windows update " ... then " do you want blabla plug and play ? " ... and so on ... i'd like to have all this done automatically, that it automatically validates the different windows (clicking on the right option, on " next " ...).

The i found the AutoIt scripting language. I'm not much used to scripting, and don't know any language to be honest (except maybe linux bash). So, before i invest much time in this language, do you think that what i want tço do could be done with AutoIt ? If the answer is yes, then it's worth investing time and learning the language !

And, finally, is it what a medium Autoit scripter would call a " complicated taks " or not ? (i'm just wondering, if i start learning seriously, when i'll be able to do it :lmao:)

Thanks for your answers !

This is definitely possible. I wouldnt call it too complicated for a beginner in scripting and AutoIt.

What I would do is start reading the helpfile, and use the project that you are wanting to complete as a way to "practice". Also you may want to try Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3. It is quite a great beginner program.

I hope that helps you along the way,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Hi,

Autoit is an automating language. :lmao: So, I guess nearly everything that can be done manually can be done automatically.

Give it try. Download Scite and maybe start with Au3Record (Alt+F6)

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Hi,

Autoit is an automating language. :lmao: So, I guess nearly everything that can be done manually can be done automatically.

Give it try. Download Scite and maybe start with Au3Record (Alt+F6)

So long,

Mega

I'm starting today !

Thanks all for your encouragement ! I'll do as you said about practice !

Once youve got it all working right with Send() Commands, Change them to ControlSend, Or, Once youve done it with MouseClick()'s, Youll be able to change them to ControlClick. Itll help, Trust me :lmao:

[ Oh, And dont forget to use AutoIt Window Info, You can find it, Start > All Programs > Autoit

# MY LOVE FOR YOU... IS LIKE A TRUCK- #

• 3 weeks later...

Autoit is a very nice tool and probably lets you do that but there is an easiest solution : Printmig.

It lets you save all your printer installation (drivers, ports etc...) in a .cab file and you can reinstall this .cab

in an same or other machine...

I use it to backup my Windows printer server and its work fine.