How to debug a script?

I have some work in progress with autoit, however, as my code gets longer and longer, it's getting harder to debug it by inserting msgboxes. Is there a better way to debug? for example a step by step run and display variable values along the way?

I was really troubled by the difficulties in debugging. Please please help me here.

Use the Scite Editor. Reasons:

- Code Highlighting (that fixes 90% of code issues right there).

- Embedded communication with ConsoleWrite that allows you to debug without constant messageboxes.

- Syntax checking built-in (you can check for mistypes at any time).

You can then use ConsoleWrite("debug message") in your scripts for debugging that will only be shown when running from scite.

Another option is here. I still recommend scite for the highlighting features and automatic syntax checking.

Who else would I be?

Use the Scite Editor. Reasons:

- Code Highlighting (that fixes 90% of code issues right there).

- Embedded communication with ConsoleWrite that allows you to debug without constant messageboxes.

- Syntax checking built-in (you can check for mistypes at any time).

You can then use ConsoleWrite("debug message") in your scripts for debugging that will only be shown when running from scite.

Another option is here. I still recommend scite for the highlighting features and automatic syntax checking.

thx a lot, that really helps. I'll explore these options.

PS:I love this forum. The replies are so spontaneous.

I have some work in progress with autoit, however, as my code gets longer and longer, it's getting harder to debug it by inserting msgboxes. Is there a better way to debug? for example a step by step run and display variable values along the way?

I was really troubled by the difficulties in debugging. Please please help me here.

You can also take a look at this: AutoIt Graphical Debugger

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.