Event log - Without WSH

desrtfx

Hello everybody!

Sorry, to introduce myself with a tricky question, but searching the forums didn't quite provide me the solution that I hoped to find.

I am quite familiar with creating scripts in AutoIT, but currently I am trying something that seems to be over my head.

I want to have a silent script that, upon completion, writes an entry to the windows event log.

I have seen the methods using the WSH - tried it - it works.

However, I would like to know whether there is a way to accomplish the same task without the WSH. The reason is that on several of my client machines where I run the scrip the WSH is disabled or very limited.

Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

desrtfx

Ok, this script has been copied from the forum:

$WshShell = ObjCreate("WScript.Shell")
if @error or $WshShell = 0 Then
    MsgBox(266288,"WshShell","Could not create object.")
    Exit
EndIf

$WshShell.LogEvent(4, "Hello World")

In the above script I use a switch "$silent" to indicate whether the program should display the message

boxes or not. I want to add a log entry instead of the message boxes when in silent mode.

Regards,

desrtfx

Edited by desrtfx

@desrtfx, It looks like unless you have an eventlog message dll, you get an error in the event log viewer. See the following explanation:

http://www.codeproject.com/system/xeventlog.asp

EDIT: Why not use WSH? Issues with possible WSH corruption?

EDIT 2: Larry has included this functionality in his Au3Xtra dll. You can read more about it here.

Edited by this-is-me
Who else would I be?

@Larry: Whew, that's some code here - my C skills are long since gone, but thanks anyway. I'll give the library a try.

@this-is-me: The complete code of my program is actually working perfectly well. - It's only a solution to update Symantec Antivirus Corporate behind a very restrictive and stupid firewall config on which I don't have any influence.

When I run the "Hello" example (WSH)it creates the event log entry without hassle. The only drawback I found is that it registers the event as "WSH" event and not from my program.

Have to rethink it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Regards,

desrtfx

Edit 1: I think I might resort to good old Text logfiles - is definitely easier. - Or I might add an event to Rainlendar - who knows :whistle:

Edited by desrtfx

Larry's Library - Question

Could anybody please be so kind to give me a quick Au3 example on how to use the "EventLogWrite" function.

I am kinda lost here.

Say I want to make something like this:

func writeLogEntry($message, $state)
; $message is the message that should be recorded in the log
; $state is either success or fail - and that should set either $EVENTLOG_SUCCESS, or $EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE - for now.
;here's the critical code...???
EndFunc

I think if I can understand that trick, I can get going any further.

I really appreciate any help on that

many thanks

desrtfx

@Larry:

Many, many, many thanks - that is just what I needed - ties my final knots! :whistle:;)

Now I can port my little script to production stage and will never miss an antivirus update!

Thanks again to everyone for the great help!

regards,

desrtfx