Calling AutoIt remotely from Solaris

cprowse

Hi all,

I have an AutoIt (v3) script that runs successfully on Windows XP if run locally. It needs to get handles on active windows, so must be run 'interactively'.

The problem I have is trying to call this remotely from Solaris. I have got the setup working correctly if calling the script from an XP host, to the remote XP host, using PsExec - when it is called you can see the windows on the remote host be opened and used successfully. However, I have yet to find a way to call this file (which sits locally on the XP host) using a command from the Solaris box.

I have looked into SSH (using OpenSSH remotely), telnet (and interactive modes for both of these) and using a version of Expect from Perl - but I can never get a handle on any physical windows (presumably as it never seems to use the console). The scripts are running, but falling over the first time a command like 'WinActivate' is used.

I am now going around in circles with this, and would appreciate any examples and/or external programs that might get this working.

Many thanks,

-Chris

Hi all,

I have an AutoIt (v3) script that runs successfully on Windows XP if run locally. It needs to get handles on active windows, so must be run 'interactively'.

The problem I have is trying to call this remotely from Solaris. I have got the setup working correctly if calling the script from an XP host, to the remote XP host, using PsExec - when it is called you can see the windows on the remote host be opened and used successfully. However, I have yet to find a way to call this file (which sits locally on the XP host) using a command from the Solaris box.

I have looked into SSH (using OpenSSH remotely), telnet (and interactive modes for both of these) and using a version of Expect from Perl - but I can never get a handle on any physical windows (presumably as it never seems to use the console). The scripts are running, but falling over the first time a command like 'WinActivate' is used.

I am now going around in circles with this, and would appreciate any examples and/or external programs that might get this working.

Many thanks,

-Chris

I made something similar but in linux... I setup a web server in the XP box and activate au3 as a script language. Then you can execute scripts locally (in the XP) tru a call via browser in your machine (solaris, etc)...

look at this http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30564

Have you tried running autoit scripts in solaris using wine? I've heared it works... not sure :whistle:

Yeh, someone here suggested using a webserver on the remote host - I just had my fingers crossed that there would be an easier way - something that could just call a remote interactive console session - it must be possible as PsExec can do it from windows!

Thanks for the suggestion,

-Chris

Yes, the remote user needs to be logged in - but this is fine. It is a strange problem we are facing, but we do need to have a call from a Solaris box to run an autoit compiled exe on a remote windows xp host that then gets handles to windows. PsExec does exactly this, but from xp to xp, instead of solaris -> XP

Regards,

-Chris

It loads up an application and follows through some steps as though being run by a user sitting at a terminal (which it must do, unfortunately it cannot be done on the command line). Therefore, an interactive session must be started - aghhh!

-Chris

Poor, poor effort on my part. After nearly tearing my hair out, I found the 'allow logons to interact with the desktop' checkbox in the OpenSSH configuaration - and hey presto. Now I can SSH to the host from Solaris (or anywhere else for that matter) and kick it off.

Thanks for the help guys,

-Chris