StringRegExp not documented?

GizmoC

Hello

I am very new to AutoIt. Maybe I dont know where to look, but I could not find any official documentation for StringRegExp. I also did not find any the internal code for the function anywhere.

Before you say it, Yes, I've used the search feature and "somewhat" figured out how to use StringRegExp, but I thought I'd point out that the docs are missing, right?

PS: offtopic question, what are UDFs? I see this acronym thrown around a lot? All I really see are just little handy user-created functions? Am I missing something?

Edited by GizmoC

Hello

I am very new to AutoIt. Maybe I dont know where to look, but I could not find any official documentation for StringRegExp. I also did not find any the internal code for the function anywhere.

Before you say it, Yes, I've used the search feature and "somewhat" figured out how to use StringRegExp, but I thought I'd point out that the docs are missing, right?

PS: offtopic question, what are UDFs? I see this acronym thrown around a lot? All I really see are just little handy user-created functions? Am I missing something?

Hey there - I don't know about the 'official' AutoIt release, as I tend to use the latest beta available (which they are constantly updating). I do know that the official manual definition for "StringRegExp" is in the .chm help file. It's far from all-inclusive, and perhaps that's what you're referring to. A very thorough explanation is also in the (beta) help file - if you search for "String Regular Expression". And I'd have to agree - Formatting a regular expression to get what you need can be a bit daunting, I barely have a handle on it myself and it took a good while to get what I wanted the first time I needed to use it.

Also - UDF is "User Defined Functions". Basically functions created by users not associated with the AutoIt programming team.

Also meant to mention that I'm pretty sure the RegExp conventions are the same as most other languages, so if you don't find the one in the help file useful, you can google it and get other walkthroughs, explanations, examples, etc.

I do know that the official manual definition for "StringRegExp" is in the .chm help file.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I could not find the StringRegExp in the .chm file (of the official release) or the online-docs.

I did find a link to it on the beta-docs, but the page is empty! ( http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/...tringRegExp.htm )

Fortunately the .CHM file of the beta does have the docs for StringRegExp.

Oh well, I dunno whos in-charge of the .CHMs or the online-docs... just pointing it out.

Edited by GizmoC

• Moderators

Thanks for your quick reply.

I could not find the StringRegExp in the .chm file (of the official release) or the online-docs.

I did find a link to it on the beta-docs, but the page is empty! ( http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/...tringRegExp.htm )

Fortunately the .CHM file of the beta does have the docs for StringRegExp.

Oh well, I dunno whos in-charge of the .CHMs or the online-docs... just pointing it out.

StringRegExp is not documented in the official 3.2.1 release.

It is in fact documented with the new 3.2.1.8 and above Beta releases.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I was not documented in the official release due to some big errors, but included for those which have been beta testing for a long time.

In fact the new beta is based on new code which work a little bit different based on the Pearl Compatible engine. Slight difference but mainly compatible with the release one.

The Beta doc reflect the new implementation and if you experience problem with the Official release we decide that we will support just a reproduction with the Beta which is a very strong implementation available for year.