Yet Another ... Debugger

Klaatu

• 4 weeks later...

You're welcome. Glad you like it. Often quick and simple is what is needed when debugging.

I missed how we could debug easily under the old version of Autoit (v2). There didn't used to be any debuggers out there for use with v3, but now there's quite a few. I wanted one I could understand, and written in pure AutoIt. Took quite a while to figure out how I wanted to do it, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the results.

My Projects:DebugIt - Debug your AutoIt scripts with DebugIt!

Have you stopped developing this Klaatu? Just wondered since no posts since Jan 25th. Or is it lack of feedback for incentive?

Basically, yes I've stopped developing it, mainly because I haven't found the need. It works as I intend it to. I use it practically every day and it works well. No bugs have been reported, and nobody's asked for any additions, so it is what it is, for now anyway.

• 4 months later...

Updated. See below for change log. See first post for download.

Version 1.5

• fixed: try to reactivate the previously active window if the 'Pause' button was used and later the 'Resume' button. Should prevent Send commands in the script immediately following resuming from being sent to our debug window.
  • changed: extra characters added to window title changed from brackets to braces so we don't use the same character AutoIt does for title matching.
Version 1.4

• changed: if user does not have write permissions on the folder containing the script, run script in passthru mode instead of failing.
  • changed: exit gracefully if we prompt the user for a file to debug and no file was given.
  • added: set focus to Exit button so we can be dismissed with an enter or spacebar key.
  • changed: unnecessary StringFormat commands changed to literal strings.

• 5 months later...

Updated. See first post for download.

Version 1.5.1: because of the script-breaking changes made in v3.2.12 of AutoIt, our include list needed to be updated to the new "standard". If you're using an earlier version of AutoIt, note that this script should work with earlier versions, however the include list will probably need to be changed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

New version posted. See first post for download links.

Version 1.6

* changed: StripComments() and ScanForVars() now use regular expressions to greatly speed up the code instead of looping through the line character by character.

* changed: turning debugging on and off is now much more flexible. In addition to skipping '# cs'/'# ce' blocks, you can now use ';debugit-off' and ';debugit-on' to stop and start debugging.

* added: in addition to multi-dimensional-arrays being identified as such, objects and hwnds will too.

* other minor changes too numerous to mention (or remember, frankly).

Along the same lines as DebugIt, I've also come up with DebugVer, which basically does the same thing as DebugIt (in that you use it to debug your script), but instead of opening up a GUI and outputting the results there, it creates a new .au3 file from your script with debug code in it. When you run this script it will create a log file of the script's execution. Hopefully that's not too convoluted; basically from YourScript.au3 DebugVer creates YourScriptVer.au3, which when executed creates YourScriptVer_somenumber.log. I use it instead of DebugIt when interactive debugging would be inconvenient. One note, though: if your script successfully executes (ie, no errors are generated), the log file is sent to the recycle bin so as not to build up a bunch of log files. See first post for this script as well.

Enjoy,

Klaatu