Can't find Include File

I installed SciTE 1.61 this morning, and for the most part, everything works great. I'm having a problem getting it to locate an include file. The following is the error output I'm getting in SciTE:

>au3check\au3check "D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3"

AutoIt3 Syntax Checker v1.00, Copyright © Tylo, 2004

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3(3,10) : ERROR: can't open include file "John.au3"

#include "John.au3"

~~~~~~~~~^

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3(14,35) : ERROR: call to undefined function: menuselect

$SELECTVAL = menuselect ($TITLE)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

>Exit code: 2 Time: 0.518

This include file (John's.Au3) is located with all the other include files in the 'C:\Utility\AutoIt3\Include' directory. I thought at first the apostrophe might be a problem, so I renamed it to 'John.Au3'. Didn't work. The menuselect error is a function contained in the required include file.

Other than that, the editor looks pretty good. Any help on the include file problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention: The 'Compile' and 'Run' functions of the SciTE editor work fine. The error only shows up when I do a 'Tools - AutoIt3 SyntaxCheck. The compiled executable seems to run fine.

• Developers

I installed SciTE 1.61 this morning, and for the most part, everything works great. I'm having a problem getting it to locate an include file.  The following is the error output I'm getting in SciTE:

>au3check\au3check "D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3"

AutoIt3 Syntax Checker v1.00, Copyright © Tylo, 2004

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3(3,10) : ERROR: can't open include file "John.au3"

#include "John.au3"

~~~~~~~~~^

D:\Service-Maintenance Disc\Virus\Stinger\Menu.Au3(14,35) : ERROR: call to undefined function: menuselect

$SELECTVAL = menuselect ($TITLE)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

>Exit code: 2    Time: 0.518

This include file (John's.Au3) is located with all the other include files in the 'C:\Utility\AutoIt3\Include' directory. I thought at first the apostrophe might be a problem, so I renamed it to 'John.Au3'. Didn't work. The menuselect error is a function contained in the required include file.

Other than that, the editor looks pretty good. Any help on the include file problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try updating Tylo's program with the latest release 1.0.6

http://home.tiscali.no/tylohome/sw/Au3Check.zip

I believe this is one of the fixes...

It will be include in the next version of the Scite4Autoit3 installset soon..

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Extracted the three files in the zip to the 'C:\Utility\AutoIt3\SciTe\Au3Check' directory to replace the files there. I'm assuming that's where they go, as the files there had the same names. Re-rean the test and got exactly the same results.

• Developers

Extracted the three files in the zip to the  'C:\Utility\AutoIt3\SciTe\Au3Check' directory to replace the files there. I'm assuming that's where they go, as the files there had the same names. Re-rean the test and got exactly the same results.

Should be ok if the Outputpane now states:

AutoIt3 Syntax Checker v1.06, Copyright © Tylo, 2004

Is the included file John.au3 located in the same directory as the Menu.Au3 ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Just noticed that if you have the john.au3 in the standard include subdir, you need to use #include <john.au3> or else au3check.exe won't be able to locate it...

I guess that Tylo needs to havea look at this because it should follow the logic Valik described in other posting:

It doesn't matter either way, really (The same with a C-compiler).  Using #include <>, the path's are searched first starting with the standard include library as well as any user-defined directories, and lastly in the current directory (Provided a full path isn't specified).  Otherwise, that search order is reversed.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

The output pane does have 'AutoIt3 Syntax Checker v1.06, Copyright © Tylo, 2004' as expected, so the Au3Check should be up to date.

Next, the Menu.Au3 file is not in the same directory as the required include file. Here's what I'm doing: Creating a simple drop-down menu selection window for each of a series of separate directories on a maintenance disc. The directories are separated up into the various types of software categories. Each of the major category directories has a Menu.exe file (obviously compiled from a Menu.Au3 file) which points to desired software executables, documentation, or other Menu files. For ease of maintenance, I've kept the Menu.Au3 file in the same directory as the compiled executable.

Using just Notepad and right-clicking on the file, I've had no problems with keeping my include file with all the other include files for AutoIt3 . If it becomes necessary to have the include file in the same directory as the Menu.Au3 file, then this puts me in the position of either maintaining a copy of the include file in each category directory on the disc (talk about redundancy!) or requiring me to maintaining my menu.Au3 files separate from the compiled executables. This adds a layer of maintenance book-keeping.

The SciTE editor seems to have no problems accessing the standard includes for AutoIt3. It seems strange that it can't see my include when it's in the same directory as all the others.

Again, I appreciate your help.

:D Okay, your last posting hit it! I checked all my Menu.Au3 files and my #include statement uses double quotes instead of left and right carats. When I replaced:

#include "John.au3" with #include <John.au3>, it worked great. I guess there must be some functional difference between " and > in the #include statement. Tanks again!

It doesn't matter either way, really (The same with a C-compiler).  Using #include <>, the path's are searched first starting with the standard include library as well as any user-defined directories, and lastly in the current directory (Provided a full path isn't specified).  Otherwise, that search order is reversed.

Au3Check v1.07 does this now. However the above statement is not all true. Indeed, for #include "...", C compilers searches the standard include paths after the current directory, but #include <...> only searches the standard paths, and then the user specified with -I.

blub