can autoit write data into another autoit.exe ?

jennico

hello,

i have a configuration (autoit) routine and several program scripts (autoit exes). the configuration script collects the data which the other scripts have to use (e.g. klick coordinates).

i could write the collected data into an ini file, and the later executing autoit.exes retrieve the data from the ini file. this seems clumsy and slow.

but a much faster possibility could be that the configuration script could write the data (the coordinates of the mouse clicks) directly into the compiled scripts into a specific line.

is there a way to achieve that (what command do i use?) or is it impossible ?

thanx

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

well, because the file could be modified BEFORE execution, while the ini must be read DURING execution. thats why.

and i cant see the problem of "hacking". its just coordinates for mouseclicks. and its my own script that will be "hacked" by another script of my own. this doesnt seem dangerous to me at all. isnt it the same, changing an ini file and changing the executable ? so better i change the exe directly than in a clumsy way.

j.

and - btw - thinking about it - just ANYONE can change the data written in an ini file. this is much more dangerous than changing the undecompilable exe directly. or am i wrong ? so which way seems more dangerous ?

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

• Moderators

well, because the file could be modified BEFORE execution, while the ini must be read DURING execution. thats why.

and i cant see the problem of "hacking". its just coordinates for mouseclicks.

j.

So what's going to write to the exe if it is being written to "before" execution? If you're using another app to do that, what's the difference of doing it "during" execution, and excluding the extra app?

In addition, what type of writing to are you talking about? Are you talking about changing the actual code? If so, you talking about "patching" the application, there have been some attempts made, but by the time they were done, you could have read an .ini 20,000 times over (and then some for some of them (patchers)). If you're talking about writing to the actual exe without messing with the code itself, then the exe would have to read itself just as it would an ini anyway.

Regardless of what you're doing, doesn't it sound like you're taking the long way around things?

On a different note, maybe there is some "other" confusion, do you know what an .ini is and how to use one?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

and i cant see the problem of "hacking". its just coordinates for mouseclicks.

j.

So, you wanna be a control freak? I suggest that you use an ini file. Antivirus programs using an heuristic algorithm look out for self-modifing executables.

hey guys what does this matter if i am a control freak ?

and whats the sense of telling me that i dont know whats the ini file ?

please read the first posting and you will understand.

i would like to change the mouse click coordinates that are written in some later executing exes in a way that has been collected by a configuration exe before this exe will ask the user for preferences and thus there will be different ways to the executon of the others .that is all.

i am not a control freak and i know what is an ini.file. dont stray from ther point please just to fill the post score.

Spoiler

• Moderators

hey guys what does this matter if i am a control freak ?

and whats the sense of telling me that i dont know whats the ini file ?

please read the first posting and you will understand.

i would like to change the mouse click coordinates that are written in some later executing exes in a way that has been collected by a configuration exe before this exe will ask the user for preferences and thus there will be different ways to the executon of the others .that is all.

i am not a control freak and i know what is an ini.file. dont stray from ther point please just to fill the post score.

I asked the question because obviously you have the programming mentality of a troll. I wasn't straying from anything, just giving you a break down of the cons.

On top of it, you say "read" the post, well, I did read the post, but obviously you can't take your own advice or read between the lines, because I gave you "an" answer right in mine.

Good luck figuring things out ... (I don't mean that by the way).

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

i really dont know the programming mentality of a troll, i dont care about it and on top of this it strays from the point. or not ?

i posted a very simple "is it possible yes or no?" style question and i received a whole bunch of nothing (i dont mean that by the way) and good advice that i dont need because i like to try things out and then decide if its good or not. at least thanks to SmOke_N i know the meaning of patching now and i can search for it by myself. i still dont know how to patch (that was my question) but thanx anyway.

but what i learned instead is that i am a hacker, a troll and a control freak. wow, but - okay.

j.

Spoiler

You have a developer of the language and at least two very experienced users telling you that you shouldn't bother pursuing your current course and all you're doing is complaining about that. You can either listen to people who know what they are doing and know that what you are trying to do is stupid or you can figure it out on your own because anybody capable enough to give you an answer on the subject is capable enough to know it's not the right way to go and they won't help you go that way because it's the wrong way to go.

I guess you must be one of those "too right to be wrong" people we encounter on this forum too frequently.

There are .exes out there with blank space in them that is used by the program itself (when in memory) or is used by viruses/related programs to hide in the code. Also, crc checking would show that a file was changed if the internals of the .exe were changed.

Trying to change code of an executeable without recompiling is really never a good idea, especially when it is being done continually. I remember hearing this from doing assembly in the early 80's though it seems like a really cool and useful idea when you first think of it.

The 'patching' that was mentioned doesn't happen often either and usually it is a hack rather than something the original programmer intended.

Anyplace that you can legitimately store information should be good...file, memory, registry (which is still a file).

Be open minded but not gullible.A hammer sees everything as a nail ... so don't be A tool ... be many tools.

The concept of an .INI, .conf, or a registry is to create a framework for storing dynamic data that applications need at runtime. That's the whole point of their existence.

Trying to reserve space in the executable for a stack or variables is a really bad idea. Can it be done? Sure, malicious code writers do it regularly. Should it be done? Just about any professional programmer worth his salt will tell you it shouldn't.

In the scenario you've presented (and I've read it a few times now, word for word) I see no benefit to doing it the way you want it done. I understand the desire you have to keep the system free of extraneous little files. That's why I think you should use the registry to store your data instead.

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]