simple remote desktop?

Rick

Hi people, this is the scenario, i work in a tech support dept of a small software company. There are times when it would be usefull to connect to a customers pc to fathom out pc issues that cant be resolved just by talking as most of our clients are pc illiterate.

Is there an ideally freeware utility whereby we could remote desktop a customers pc and have them see what we're doing with minimum installation by the end user

Ive done various searchs on the forum altho not yet found anything simple for both connecting to and running of by the end user.

Ideally it'll work for all Windows (95 upwards), and ideally all I'll need from the customer is their i.p. address

Any help would be appreciated.

Who needs puzzles when we have AutoIt!!

Had a look at that, altho i need any installation process to be silent and only require the customer to submit an i.p. address to make remote desktoping as painles as possible.

I'm happy to write whats needed in autoit, just unsure of the bits i need.

Who needs puzzles when we have AutoIt!!

Had a look at that, altho i need any installation process to be silent and only require the customer to submit an i.p. address to make remote desktoping as painles as possible.

I'm happy to write whats needed in autoit, just unsure of the bits i need.

The problem with doing it the way you suggest is that it will not work if the customer is behind a firewall or router without some port forwarding.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

I think you can get around firewalls by having the remote machine initiate an invitation, as long as the outgoing VNC ports are not blocked. I haven't tested this theory though.

Check the VNC documentation for what port invitations are issued on (probably the standard ports) and forward those on your firewall to your PC. Then use AutoIt with a FileInstall to run VNC with switches to send an invite to your IP/domain.

My UDFs: ExitCodes