view current script line / debug scripts

Guest raven

I realize v3 is still beta, but as it is getting closer to the stable release I thought I'd just mention that I miss the way v2 displayed where it was in the script, by showing the line number & the actual script line, when you double clicked the tray icon.

Is anything like this implemented in v3 yet (or will it be soon?). being able to see where Autoit is in the script, is pretty vital for debugging.

I spent all day today migrating and improving a v2 lotus notes client configuration script and it was a nightmare :whistle:

Yeah, that works I guess. Since I did it on a Win98 machine I put in a number of;

ProgressSet(0,"checkpoint 1","")

ProgressSet(0,"checkpoint 2","")

around where I guessed the problem would be, and worked it out from there

but it really feel like something that AutoIt should handle internally. Much less

messy.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started getting into AutoIt3 and it's great, all except for that window being gone, PLEASE OH PLEASE bring it back. It's really tough to know where a script got stuck at, especially when you are using it to roll out software.

I upload to Jon an update that show in a balloon the line # /Statement when double-clicking on the AutoIt icon.

That's a very minimal version of the complete debug stuff I did with David.

I hope Jon will integrate that before the full Debug promise for after the beta.

Kind of nonreg with AutoIt V2

Cheers :whistle:

Thanks for the info, and I can appreciate the "Never let it hang" motto, hehe, but I don't see why this feature *should* be left out. I just used AutoIt2 to script Microsoft Great Plains (huge financial piece of software) here at work and it saved HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS of work. God Bless AutoIt! Unfortunately, myself not being very "scripty" I made some careless errors and the script hung a few times. It was awfully convenient to be able to pull up the tray icon and see my mistake. I'm sorry I'm not a developer and can't contribute the code to put it back in, but I SURE WOULD appreciate having it. The few scripts I've created so far have been flawless thanks to the SetRunAs option, how nice it was to roll out a program to a bunch of non-admin users without having to log them out and back in, and by using the ControlLeftClick on the buttons, instead of MouseClick, X, Y, man this program is a Godsend! If at all possible, please restore the capability that was in V2 to see it, or go with the last post and do a balloon tip, if you say, right click on the A, instead of left clicking to pause it. Am I the only person who REALLY wants to keep this feature?

I don't think the balloon stuff works on all OSes.  I could have dreamt that though.

You are correct, Jon. Ballon Tips are only available on Windows 2000 or later. That is also why the TrayTip function I wrote had to derive its own structure from NOTIFYICONDATA; the members of that structure I needed to create a balloon tip coming out of the tray icon are not present unless WINVER is >= 500. The same holds true when trying to create a balloon tip instead of a tooltip anywhere else on the screen, too. Edited by Valik

You AutoIt guys are nothing short of geniuses, let me tell you! I'm a PC Support guy that does software installs all day long. I have created a function that does the winwait, blocks input, winactivate, winwaitactive, then does a controlleftclick, and enables input again. I'm telling you, I'm proud of myself, hehe. But you guys are The Bomb! On this subject, the balloon tip or tray tip is cool, and would definitely be sufficient, but if you're having trouble with it, why not do it the same way you did it before? Was there a downside to doing it that way? Thanks again for a phenominal, job and life changing, heavenly piece of freeware. I'm a big fan, hehe, if you can't tell.

• Developers

controlleftclick

Just an FYI...

controlleftclick doesn't work anymore in the next version!!.. (The current unstable version now has the command "controlclick" where you can select the left ot right mouse click.)

hit that problem myself today :whistle:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Just an FYI...

controlleftclick doesn't work anymore in the next version!!.. (The current unstable version now has the command "controlclick" where you can select the left ot right mouse click.)

hit that problem myself today  B)

ControlClick ( "title", "text", "classnameNN" [, button] [, clicks]] )

The button to click, "left", "right" or "middle". Default is the left button.

so it should be ok if you use "left" in the 4th parameter :whistle:

• Developers

jpm.. yes i know but i downloaded the latest unstable made a few minor changes to a script i use for a while .... compiled it and it hit this invalid command "controlleftclick"

It wasn't a big issue ... but something to check out when you recompile a existing script !!

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

ewwww. this one is gonna hurt... off to Find/Replace throughout my script folder...

B)

Will hurt for sure... but talking about hurting...what about the "hanging" all day ?? . doesn't that hurt ?? :whistle:

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Administrators

Not so bad the "left" is optional so just find ControlLeftClick and Replace with ControlClick - left click is assumed if not specified.

And it means you can do context senstive menus (right click) on many things. :whistle:

• Developers

Not so bad the "left" is optional so just find ControlLeftClick and Replace with ControlClick - left click is assumed if not specified.

And it means you can do content senstive menus (right click) on many things. :whistle:

agree... no problem for me... just shared this info that its something to check when recompile! ...

like Larry said... just a search replace on all your scripts...

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Hey guys, thanks for the info, I believe I had read the controlleftclick going away in another forum post, but that was a long time ago, so I didn't think it still applied. I know this is a bit offtopic, but I wanted to share a piece of sofware with you Masters of the Scripting Universe if you haven't already heard of it: beyondexec: http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/remo.../BeyondExec.htm

It is (IMHO) ultimate companion to AutoIt. I used it to execute an autoit script on a slew of training room machines that set the autoadminlogon registry key and then used the psshutdown utility to reboot all the PCs. They automatically logged in as an admin user, and then I used beyondexec again to kickoff a script that installed Microsoft Source Safe on the whole lot. I edit all my scripts with Crimson Editor, it is the best freeware text editor (again, IMHO). Anyway, about this hanging stuff. I assume the "unstable" version WILL be the next version once it's deemed "stable", is that correct? So am I to assume that there will be some way to know what line of code AutoIt is processing whether it be the tray, a balloon tip, or like the old status window?

Thanks again to you guys, you should've seen the twinkle in my eye when I watched a room full of PCs nearly in sync installing software automatically while I leaned back in my chair to pat myself on the back, hehe. :whistle:

Well I downloaded the latest "unstable" version and it has the tray tip showing the line it's processing, absolutely PERFECT, just what I had in mind, unobtrusive and straight to the point. Guess there's no need for this thread any more, unless I'm wrong in assuming what's in this version WON'T make it to the final product.