Banning user for X days..

_Kurt

I will take Valuater's advice and start a new topic with a better title. So, this is just an example of what I want to do: the user presses button, he gets banned for one day, after the day passed it 'unbans' him (sorry if it's not the proper term ;). Could someone tell me if I am doing something wrong? If there is a better or different way to do this? Any advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated :whistle:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <String.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
;-----------Check If User Is Banned-----------
$startdate = _StringEncrypt(0, RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version", "Example1"), @ComputerName)
If NOT $startdate = "" Then
    If _DateDiff("D", $startdate, _NowCalc()) < 1 Then
        MsgBox(0, "", "You have been banned.")
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf
;If User finished his ban, delete it so the user will be able to be banned again
If _DateDiff("D", $startdate, _NowCalc()) > 1 AND Not $startdate = "" Then
    RegDelete("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version", "Example1")
EndIf
;--------Create GUI with button--------
$GUI     = GUICreate("Example", 250, 120) 
$Button  = GUICtrlCreateButton("Ban Me", 15, 10, 100, 50)
GUISetState()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg();Check for any clicks on the following

Select

Case $msg = $Button
        RegWrite("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version", "Example1", "REG_SZ", _StringEncrypt(1, _NowCalc(), @ComputerName))
        SetError(0)
        GUIDelete($GUI)
        MsgBox(0, "", "You are now banned" & @CRLF & "for one day.")
        Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd

Thanks for ANY help!!

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

• Moderators

Just put the Valik button to the left of the Larry modification.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Oh, okay well have fun Smoke_N.

Any real comments or advice or ANYTHING?

I was having fun... thanks :whistle:

A comment? Advice?

I've never liked the idea that people rely on date udf's for this type of thing. What happens when the end user changes their clock to avoid it?

I personally would use a universal time for all of them. Using _InetGetSource() and a world time site, then parse to get the date and time. Or use TCP to call your server, and get the date and time from your server. Otherwise, even my 7 yr old knows how to reset the clock on a computer.

I've also never really liked the fact that people write to the registry for this type of stuff. One of the easiest things monitored for changes. Even though you are using _StringEncrypt() you still only have 2 constants. Banned or Not Banned. So if they see they are able to use the program, they can look at the registry, find out what you are using for "Not Banned", and then keep that on record, then when they are not able to use it any longer, they can see what changes you've made, and see what you are using for "Banned", and in about 2 seconds become "Unbanned".

Though I've not given direct answers, only concerns, I hope it gets you to thinking of a deeper level of checking these types of things.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks alot for the reply! :whistle:

You've given me alot to think about, Smoke_N. Now I have to re-think the whole idea, which is good because I'm making the ban alot harder to get around. Thanks again for the concerns, I was waiting for some!

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

>< I'm not experienced enough to understand the use of _InetGetSource, or how to connect to my server using TCP. Perhaps a small example (if that's not too much to ask :whistle:)? or I think I'll just stick with my original idea and instead of writing to the registry, i write to a file @tempdir.

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

>< I'm not experienced enough to understand the use of _InetGetSource, or how to connect to my server using TCP. Perhaps a small example (if that's not too much to ask :whistle:)? or I think I'll just stick with my original idea and instead of writing to the registry, i write to a file @tempdir.

Kurt

#include <INet.au3>
$NotePad = "Untitled - Notepad"  
$NPad = "Edit1"
$LF = Chr(10)
$CR = Chr(13)

Run("notepad.exe"); < ----------- Open NotePad
WinWait("Untitled - Notepad")

$Source = _INetGetSource('http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html')

NotepadWrite($Source) ;View Source

$StrPos = StringInStr ( $Source, "Glasgow") ;Locate the word Glasgow for UK time

MsgBox(0,"Time in the UK is..",StringMid ( $Source, $StrPos ,41 ))

Exit
Func NotepadWrite($String)
    ControlCommand("Untitled - Notepad", "", "Edit1", "EditPaste", $String &$CR &$LF)
EndFunc

Needs some extra parsing to filter out the tags, but you get the basic idea from this.

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

• Moderators
#include <INet.au3>
$NotePad = "Untitled - Notepad"  
$NPad = "Edit1"
$LF = Chr(10)
$CR = Chr(13)
Run("notepad.exe"); < ----------- Open NotePad
WinWait("Untitled - Notepad")

$Source = _INetGetSource('http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html')

NotepadWrite($Source) ;View Source

$StrPos = StringInStr ( $Source, "Glasgow") ;Locate the word Glasgow for UK time

MsgBox(0,"Time in the UK is..",StringMid ( $Source, $StrPos ,41 ))

Exit
Func NotepadWrite($String)
    ControlCommand("Untitled - Notepad", "", "Edit1", "EditPaste", $String &$CR &$LF)
EndFunc

#include <INet.au3>
$sSource = _INetGetSource('http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html')
$aArray = StringRegExp($sSource, '(?i)(?s)Glasgow\<\/a\>\<\/td\>\<td class\="r"\>(.*?)\<', 3)
If IsArray($aArray) Then MsgBox(0,"Time in the UK is..", $aArray[0])
Can`t find StringRegExp in the helpfile, could have sworn I`ve seen it there... :whistle:

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

• Moderators

Can`t find StringRegExp in the helpfile, could have sworn I`ve seen it there... :whistle:

Beta 3.2.1.8 or higher.