Detecting the highlighted text in File Types

ok so here is what i am trying to do. i have already automated the install of a piece of software. the install, however, taks TIF and TIFF files and changes the settings so that Windows will open this new program for the TIF and TIFF files. We dont want this, so we obviously want to change them back.... automatically.

So i do the following:

explorer>> tools >> folder options >> file types >> then i click into "registered file types" box >> Send("T") >> ?????

???? = how do i know that it is on TIF? Each machine i will be installing on is different say they MIGHT have a different number of file extensions that start with the letter T.

Also, once i change these settings it takes windows a little while to change all the files... so far i just have the script sleep for 3 seconds or so... but is there a more intuitive way to handle this?

i'm not giving up on this problem, but i'd liketo fix this by 4:00 or so... if anyone can help my lame a** it woul dbe much appreciated =)

Edited by ajcrewmisfit

------------------------------------------------------------------If it were up to me, all computer stuff would work

look to what's being changed, not what's doing the changing. look for the info that needs to be changed in the registry to change the association. then use regwrite to fix it.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

damn... i actually wouldnt know where to look to change the registry =P

i'm searching through it and i'm not sure... i'm gonna try google to i guess for that one

------------------------------------------------------------------If it were up to me, all computer stuff would work

hmm... earlier i changed it to some random value and none of those values changed though though. am i wrong?

honestly... i dontknow a d4mn thing bout registry =P

I added !FINDME! to the end of the Open command, then searched the registry for that, found HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSPaper.Document\shell\Open\command

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)