Crash in function __IEInternalErrorHandlerDeRegister on Win98

Hi,

For a very long time I had been pestered with unexpected and random crash in my AutoIT application on Win98.

In that application I would open an IE browser navigate to a login page having frames and enter the username and password.

Now this worked reliably on WinXP, but on Win98, my program would crash for no reason.

By putting ConsoleWrites in IE.au3 , I have narrowed down the crash to this location.

Inside function __IEInternalErrorHandlerDeRegister, in the first line setting $oIEErrorHandler = "".

After inserting a sleep(500) at the start of the function, I haven't seen the crash again.

BTW, calling or not calling _IEErrorHandlerRegister () in my script, makes no difference.

Has anyone faced this problem before or know what is going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil

AutoIT version: 3.2.0.1

IE.au3 Version: T2.0-5

This seems like a very improbable line of code to receive an error.

That routine is called by _IELoadWait, which is called by several other _IE functions. _IELoadWait temporarily deactivates any user error handler, activates an internal one, and then deactivates the insternal one and reactivates the user error handler if one was registered.

In any case, simply setting the object variable to a null string wouldn't be expected to cause trouble.

Please post the full SciTe console messages when you have the problem and post your code that leads to the issue.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks for the reply Dale.

Yes I know, the line is so innocuous, setting a global value to NULL should not lead to any crash. But that's what was happening.

I do not get any message in the SciTe editor even after calling _IEErrorHandlerRegister.

Just a windows exception.

So what I have done is removed the calls to __IEInternalErrorHandlerRegister and __IEInternalErrorHandlerDeRegister altogether (Return 1 at the beginning), as I guess I don't need this functionality if everything is working fine.

And which is, my program looks to be working like a charm now.

Thanks for the reply Dale.

Yes I know, the line is so innocuous, setting a global value to NULL should not lead to any crash. But that's what was happening.

I do not get any message in the SciTe editor even after calling _IEErrorHandlerRegister.

Just a windows exception.

So what I have done is removed the calls to __IEInternalErrorHandlerRegister and __IEInternalErrorHandlerDeRegister altogether (Return 1 at the beginning), as I guess I don't need this functionality if everything is working fine.

And which is, my program looks to be working like a charm now.

So what you are getting is an unhandled exception error for the operating system?

I really think you should post that. It may be that it won't be addressed because you are running an ancient OS, but that is typically taken very seriously around here. It is unlikely to have anything to do directly with IE.au3, but rather with the COM implementation in AutoIt itself.

Please post the details of this error.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Sorry Dale for not being specific that it I get a Windows crash and not AutoIT crash.

I just assumed that when I say program crash it would be the former. :whistle:

And I know, it may not have anything to do it IE.au3 as I mentioned the program works fine on XP.

The reason for posting it here was if somebody had faced such an issue, he could point me to the root cause of it.

Anyways, here is the screenshot of the error.

post-17453-1163256056_thumb.jpg