Controlling a DirList

Ingot

Greetings all!

To start with, I'm a system/network administrator, NOT a professional Windows programmer, but I'm not new to the industry, and I HAVE written a few apps.

My job lends itself more to fast utility scripts.

I'm trying to toss together some quick and dirty automation scripts for a process that goes through multiple in-house apps, which as you can imagine aren't written to be user friendly.

AutoIT seemed perfect, but I'm stuck.

I have a "drop down drive selecter" and directory listing combo on this app that's used to navigate a directory structure, and pick a text file. The info tool lists it as "ThunderRT6DirListBox1"

I need to navigate through that to the proper directory, then open a file, but I can't seem to find ANY control functions that are successful at double-clicking on a particular directory name inside this control.

I'm missing something basic I think. Can anyone point me to the functions they would use to navigate a "drive drop down, directory listing" control in an app?

Thanks in advance!

Ingot

post-17817-1163166203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ingot

...The info tool lists it as "ThunderRT6DirListBox1"...

Here is a thread that talks about "ThunderRT6" controls:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=85832

You may not be able to use AutoIt's Control... functions on it, but you might be able to tab your way around in the list, then use "arrow down/right" to get where you need to be.

I take it you cannot pass the file info to the app at startup.

Welcome to the forums....

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Here is a thread that talks about "ThunderRT6" controls:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=85832

Hmm. From the looks of THAT thread? I think I'm up a creek

You may not be able to use AutoIt's Control... functions on it, but you might be able to tab your way around in the list, then use "arrow down/right" to get where you need to be.

I can tab to the box, but once inside of it, I can only arrow around, not select. I've tried sending clicks to this control in a number of ways, with no luck. It appears to be set up so that only a double click can take you into a subdirectory

I take it you cannot pass the file info to the app at startup.

No command line abilities at all, and no box on the screen to show the drive/directory you're navigating to so you can send text directly to it.

This was actually programmed by a team in India, and it appears they slapped it together without any thought to automation.

I think this is going to bring my entire project to a halt.

Welcome to the forums....

Thanks!

Ingot

...It appears to be set up so that only a double click can take you into a subdirectory...

Okay, then how hard is it to use MouseClick ()? I mean, does the folder structure change a lot?

Also, will the control accept "F2" for renaming a selected folder?

Edit: As Howard Hughes proved - Where the is a way, there is a will.

Edited by herewasplato

Okay, then how hard is it to use MouseClick ()? I mean, does the folder structure change a lot?

Also, will the control accept "F2" for renaming a selected folder?

Edit: As Howard Hughes proved - Where the is a way, there is a will.

Well, the directory structure is open to WAY too many people for me to be comfortable with clicking a particular set of coordinates.

I'm not sure what help renaming directories would give me in this, but no. It doesn't allow that.

I THINK, what I'm going to do is have the script move the data off to it's own little network share, do the input from there, and then move it off again to archive it. I can change drives by sending the drive letter to the drop down, and if the data is THE ONLY thing on that drive, I should be able to minimize the clicks and maybe even automate some of them with MouseClick.

Thanks for your help.

...I'm not sure what help renaming directories would give me in this, but no. It doesn't allow that...

I started to elaborate... but got lazy. Had you been able to "F2" the selected folder, then you could "control-c" that and have some idea of where you were in the folder structure... then "Esc" the rename and double-click if you are on the desired folder. Messy, but it might have worked. You could also use PixelChecksum for a form of OCR.

Moving the files of interest seems to be your best option... good luck.

Edit: Also, "F2" changes a highlighted folder to a selected one in some views.

Edited by herewasplato

What does the app from India do exactly? I see "Ghost" there. Is it perhaps a utility to restore/backup hard drive images? Ghost.exe has a lot of nifty command line options.

(I'm a sysadmin turned programmer, and I got that way by continually replacing my inadequate tools with things I've made that DO do what I need them to do.)

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]