How to read commerical products?

Although I am not new to AutoIt, I keep attempting tougher and tougher projects and now it seems I'm in over my head and need some help!

I need to extract some information from a commercial product (first time for me). The information that I need is in what appears to be a tool tip of sorts that appears after hovering over an item on the screen. The "AutoIt Window Info" doesn't return the info I need, so I was wondering if there are any other programs out there that will reveal the text that appears in this window. I realize that this seems a bit vague and confusing, but any tools you use to explore/read the 'signals' (ok - I'm sure this is NOT the technical term) put out by other programs would be helpful. Thanks! :whistle:

• Moderators

Although I am not new to AutoIt, I keep attempting tougher and tougher projects and now it seems I'm in over my head and need some help!

I need to extract some information from a commercial product (first time for me). The information that I need is in what appears to be a tool tip of sorts that appears after hovering over an item on the screen. The "AutoIt Window Info" doesn't return the info I need, so I was wondering if there are any other programs out there that will reveal the text that appears in this window. I realize that this seems a bit vague and confusing, but any tools you use to explore/read the 'signals' (ok - I'm sure this is NOT the technical term) put out by other programs would be helpful. Thanks! :whistle:

What's the product name so someone can test and see if they can get it working (doesn't matter if it's commercial, someone has it I'm sure). Also, where are your attempted code snippets so they don't try to reproduce the same non productive information you have?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

What's the product name so someone can test and see if they can get it working (doesn't matter if it's commercial, someone has it I'm sure). Also, where are your attempted code snippets so they don't try to reproduce the same non productive information you have?

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in the first post. It's a bot for Magic the Gathering Online. I'm trying to avoid PixelChecksum'ing every card to identify it. Hovering over a card produces a tool tip effect with what appears to be text which would be faster to process. I have no coding attepts yet due to the fact that I do not know how to retieve nor where to look for the text without using an OCR (which again would be time/memory consuming).

I was hoping that there was a general tool/program that would let me monitor the program window/process and intercept (may not be the right word) this tool tip text.

• Moderators

Yeah, still have no idea what your talking about "intercepting", you could hook the window I'm sure, but I don't know how to do that personally and retrieve consistent information.

The memory reading, that's something that would be handy as well, but again, I'm lacking in that area of understanding.

The below may help if they are tooltips.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...c=27674&hl=

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Yeah, still have no idea what your talking about "intercepting", you could hook the window I'm sure, but I don't know how to do that personally and retrieve consistent information.

The memory reading, that's something that would be handy as well, but again, I'm lacking in that area of understanding.

The below may help if they are tooltips.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...c=27674&hl=

Yeah, sorry. I really a novice and all my terminology is self taught so I'm sure I'm not explaining myself clearly. Thanks for being patient with me.

Yes, hooking a window would be what I want to do. After searching the forum I discovered this here and have decided that this is NOT the way for me to go. Thanks for your help SmOke_N!

I was hoping that there was a general tool/program that would let me monitor the program window/process and intercept (may not be the right word) this tool tip text.

Take a look at the ToolTip module in Auto3Lib. Allows you to capture the tooltip text and it has a built in memory manager that allows you to view memory blocks in external programs (which might be useful).
Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt