AIv3 verses AI v2 verses batch files?

Noob here.......BIG time. I have V2 installed, but i can't recall why i chose it when i 1st found AI about a year ago. I just recall there was some reson i couldn't use V2. Possibly cuz i had 98 at the time? Well whatever it was, what i'm wondering right now is this...

There are many things i want to accomplish with automation, but i don't know what program to choose. I want to use one of the 3 things in the post title and concentrate on only that. I do NOT want to use mouseclicks and keystrokes because i find them extremely undependable with autoit. So keeping that in mind, what are the advantages and disadvantages of AI2,AI3, and plain old batch files? I'm leaning toward batch files if for no other reason that they are a native part of the OS. But i'd like to hear any thoughts you all have on the subject of these 3 methods of automation and any benefits that might make one of them the smart choice over the other 2. Thanks...

use autoit3 and control* functions. They are reliable. You can compile it into a exe, which is standalone, and you can do anything a batch file can do.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

Anything AutoIt 2 can do, 3 can do as well. You can also do so much more with version 3 than you could with the previous version.

As for intergration into the OS, you can compile AutoIt scripts so that they run on any system without any extra software being required. Batch files are also not able to click a specific control. For example, if an installer you wished to automate doesn't support command-line switches to set a paramater, AutoIt would be a convient alternative.

I don't know what you mean about clicks and keystrokes being unreliable, but AutoIt version 3 has many new features that allow you to send directally to a control. This means you don't have to know excatally where the button is you want to click. You can even send text to windows that are not active or minimized! The same goes for clicking buttons and other objects if they have a control associated with them.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

AutoIt 3 is much better than version 2 in nearly every way. Unless you have some special attachment to v2, use AutoIt v3.

AutoIt is much more powerful than batch files, and you could always FileInclude or FileWrite batch files from within AutoIt.... It's also just as easy to distribute a compiled AutoIt script as it is to distribute a batch file--and it is easier to write a script that works on multiple versions of Windows.

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

I think dazco means one that records your actions and outputs a script.

Larry ported over the AU3 scriptwriter from v2, I've tried it out, but haven't really used it's output...

as for a text editor, I totally recomend Jdeb's install of SciTE found here.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)