FooIRC Client

Slythfox

I've been working on this irc client in my free time. Please note this irc client is not complete yet.

Updates/Changelog

Nov 18th, 2006

+ Many commands such as /nick, /time, and /me work.

+ Crash fix while connecting to a channel.

+ Profile, Settings, Color, & Connect windows center themselves according to the window, rather than centering themselves to the screen.

+ Only one log file (the other log file couldn't write fast enough, so that when a crash occurred, the raw irc data that caused the crash wouldn't be there).

Nov 17th, 2006

+ Color window now works.

+ Fixed bug with icons.

+ A few other small things...

Nov 16th, 2006

+ Initial public release.

Screenshot

Posted Image

Download

FooIRC_Client_0.1.2.zip

Edited by Slythfox

very nice i like it , i personally dislike GuiOnEventMode ;)

I had to turn GuiOnEventMode on in order for interactions with the gui to work well. Otherwise in order to submit, you would need to wait until every single packet received from the irc server itself. And of course, now, it only partially works... :lmao:

Looks like a good program so far. ;) Nice and simple. I ran it and tried to connect to #ubuntu on freenode but got an error shown in attachment.

post-9494-1163800625_thumb.png

add after line 143:

If $message1[0] < 2 Then MsgBox (0, "Raw Message", $irc)

try again and a message box titled "Raw Message" should pop up when you try to join, tell us what that message box says.

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

add after line 143:

If $message1[0] < 2 Then MsgBox (0, "Raw Message", $irc)

try again and a message box titled "Raw Message" should pop up when you try to join, tell us what that message box says.

Seems like the names of the users in the channel (usually 500+):

Perhaps too many users in channel for it to handle?

Edited by Somniis

Seems like the names of the users in the channel (usually 500+):

yes well it looks like the code always assumes that there is at least 2 parts of the message which obviously is not true 100% of the time. I don't know enough about the IRC protocol to tell you what to do about it though. sorry.

at least we have traced down the problem though. maybe I will go googling and see If I can solve this and learn a bit about IRC.

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

No... What may limit it is the maximum data the irc client can receive at a given time, which is currently set at 384 (bits I believe).

Anyway, I've fixed the bug with the icons, and added/fixed a few other things. (That sleep really paid off.) I've updated the first post with the new download.

Edited by Slythfox

No... What may limit it is the maximum data the irc client can receive at a given time, which is currently set at 384 (bits I believe).

Anyway, I've fixed the bug with the icons, and added/fixed a few other things. (That sleep really paid off.) I've updated the first post with the new download.

Whatever you did fixed the error. ;)

Does it accept /msg commands? I tried a /msg NickServ IDENTIFY *password* and it ended up going into the chat. :lmao:

Edited by Somniis

Whatever you did fixed the error. ;)

Does it accept /msg commands? I tried a /msg NickServ IDENTIFY *password* and it ended up going into the chat. :lmao:

Yeah, haven't done that yet. I need to make the client distinguish messages with commands. It's a little bit harder to program than you might think. Sorry about that!!

Yeah, haven't done that yet. I need to make the client distinguish messages with commands. It's a little bit harder to program than you might think. Sorry about that!!

Nah, there's no need to be sorry. ;) I know it's still in the early stages of development. I wish you luck on getting the coding worked out.

Nah, there's no need to be sorry. ;) I know it's still in the early stages of development. I wish you luck on getting the coding worked out.

Okay, new release. Many commands should work now... so try /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. I haven't gotten around to test too many commands yet. Edited by Slythfox

Okay, new release. Many commands should work now... so try /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. I haven't gotten around to test too many commands yet.

Ok, I tired again and got this:

:zelazny.freenode.net 421 Somniis msg :Unknown command

And yes, I have registered with the server with that name. ;) It still went into the chat, but I'm not sure if it was visible to everyone else or not. (no one said anything about it)

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote an IRC client - IRC the code got to 123kb, I have not worked on it at all for a long time.

You might want to have a look at the code and implement somethings, such as user list, heaps of commands, coloured text, emotion icons

Feature list for my IRC client (you might like to implement them, and i have the code):

Different colours for server messages, your messages and others messages.

Converts low level irc to higher level to proccess it further (makes it easy to write functions)

Colours, faces

Multiple room support

Userlist (menu when you click on it)

Makes it easy to do channel managing

Can flash when a message is received

Plays a sound when you send a message and when a message arrives.

Does ping, finger, time, version replies

Links, [[wiki links]]

GUI for settings

writes some settings to registry (connection, password encrpted, nick, default room)

The other settings are written to an ini (this allows sharing settings without sharing the things you dont want to)

msgbox, tray commands

Edited by Adam1213

• 9 months later...