Send text to command box

(The search function didn't find any results.)

Ok, I would like to send commands to a command box.

AutoIt3 Spy didn't find any controls.

Here's why I want it...

I'm gonna create an AutoIt FTP client.

And for the connection and transfer I want to use the command line.

There are two ways to make a connection:

1) start the FTP subenvironment and send each command by hand (or using AutoIt)

2) run a command that reads a file that contains FTP commands

The problem with the second approach is:

The command creates a connection and performs actions.

So with every action you take in my Gui it has to make a new connection.

But I want the script to open a command box (hidden) and send commands.

When the user is finished, he/she presses on "Disconnect" and the right command is sent.

So, how do I send text to a command box.

Thank you for your time...

Here's what I would do:

• Write the ftp commands to use to a temporary text file
  • Call the ftp command like this: Run(@ComSpec & " /c ftp -n -s:temp1.txt ftp.domain.com", "", @SW_HIDE)
That line of code will start a hidden command prompt window that will start executing ftp commands found in the requested temp file. It also won't log in by default, so your first 2 lines should be a user/pass combo.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

I know that.

Like I said:

The problem with the second approach is:

The command creates a connection and performs actions.

So with every action you take in my Gui it has to make a new connection.

I just wanna know if someone found a way to send text to a command box (if there's a way).

If there's no way, I'll just search for a third-party FTP tool...

Edited by SlimShady

My method will make a new connection every time you call that line of code with a relevant text file full of ftp commands. As an example, run the following code and it will open two command windows with each ping:

Run(@ComSpec & " /c ping www.yahoo.com -t")
Run(@ComSpec & " /c ping localhost -t")

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I don't want to make a new connection on every action.

When the user presses connect it connects to the host.

And then the script waits for actions from user.

Eg:

Rename file, upload file, download file, list files.

I'll try out some other tools. If they're not usable in a batch file.

I'll just do what I kept avoiding; new connection on every action.

Oh, now I see what you want. I think you can do that, but I'm not sure how to detect when the command has finished. Normally when using a command prompt you can tell because you are returned to a prompt instead of the "busy" indicator. You can ControlSend text to a command window, although it does have a problem with the shift state. To solve that you can use my ControlSendPlus UDF that I developed for this exact problem.

If you just want a nice FTP client, check out FileZilla. You can set it up so that it only uses 1 connection, or however many you need. It also support a queue, and many other usefull features. Best of all, it's free and open source.

I was searching for a third-party utility...

That's just stupid.

Yeah. At home I use FileZilla.

The reason why I'm making scripts like this,

is because I want to be mobile with all the tools I need (use).

I will do the following:

- create a FTP client GUI

When you connect, it opens a command box.

When you perform an action, the script sends required information to the command window

WinHide/WinShow will be used on the command window.

Yeah. At home I use FileZilla.

The reason why I'm making scripts like this,

is because I want to be mobile with all the tools I need (use).

Why not use FileZilla when you're on the go too? You can get the zip copy and extract it to a directory on your computer at home. Once there, start it up the first time, tell it to use the XML file (not the registry), and finally burn that to a CD. Then, you can use FileZilla wherever you are without needing to install it. I do a similar trick with my iPod and use it as a removable hard drive on repair jobs.