NI-VISA Commands through I.P.

Hi all:

is it possible to send VISA commands to a remote VISA enabled GPIB device through I.P.?

I have a remote GPIB instrument connected to a computer where the VISA driver is installed and wondering if i could make a program in my computer to send commands to that instrument...

TIA ;)

Hi all:

is it possible to send VISA commands to a remote VISA enabled GPIB device through I.P.?

RTFM .

Directly from the help file:

_viExecCommand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send a Command/Query to an Instrument/Device through the VISA interface (GPIB /TCP)

I think that would strongly imply that it is possible .

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

RTFM .

Directly from the help file:

I think that would strongly imply that it is possible .

it says GPIB"/"TCP (and/or)... my question is GPIB "through" TCP...

"is it possible to send VISA commands to a "remote" VISA enabled GPIB device through I.P.?

I have a remote GPIB instrument connected to a computer where the VISA driver is installed and wondering if i could make a program in my computer to send commands to that instrument..."

it says GPIB"/"TCP (and/or)... my question is GPIB "through" TCP...

"is it possible to send VISA commands to a "remote" VISA enabled GPIB device through I.P.?

I have a remote GPIB instrument connected to a computer where the VISA driver is installed and wondering if i could make a program in my computer to send commands to that instrument..."

The manual states:

<b>Remarks

As for all the VISA functions the VISA libraries must be installed (you can check whether visa32.dll is in {WINDOWS}\system32) and a GPIB card (such as a National Instruments NI PCI-GPIB card or an Agilent 82350B PCI High-Performance GPIB card) must be installed

</b>

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

You could create a VPIB Server script that you leave on the GPIB computer and write a GPIB client that you run from a network connected PC... Send commands via TCP and the server will enact them...

Convenience is rarely convenient.

LAr.

thanks for the input larry...