Can autocomplete be disabled in the scite editor?

typhoon

I've been through the options and can't find one to stop displaying the autocomplete pop-up. If there is no option to do this, I guess I will just use my usual code editor. Will miss the syntax highlighting but man... that pop-up box is really annoying imo.

• Developers

I've been through the options and can't find one to stop displaying the autocomplete pop-up. If there is no option to do this, I guess I will just use my usual code editor. Will miss the syntax highlighting but man... that pop-up box is really annoying imo.

I might be biased but I think you gain so much speed in coding with this AutoComplete feature that i really can't see how you can say its annoying ....

The only way I can see the AutoComplete to stop is that you use the SciTE lite version and remove the au3.api file.... ...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 11 months later...

Right, so, for those of us actually looking for an *answer to the question*, how is it that you turn it off again?

Or do I just go find an editor that allows me to do that? You know, code in the manner in which *I* am comfortable, and not forced down a pathway designated by the software?

You know....I can't think of an editor that DOESN'T have autocomplete. Even Excel's IDE has one. So...how can you say it's being crammed down your throat?

Oh, and if you RTFT, your question was answered.... so QYFB.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

You know....I can't think of an editor that DOESN'T have autocomplete. Even Excel's IDE has one. So...how can you say it's being crammed down your throat?

Oh, and if you RTFT, your question was answered.... so QYFB.

Okay let me get your nose back *into* joint.

I'm not saying I don't want autocomplete. I'm not saying autocomplete isn't useful. What I'm looking for is an answer to if it can be disabled. I'd like to be able to toggle it on and off.

I did *not* say it was being crammed down my throat. If you want to quote me use the actual words.

As for your cute capitalizations, if you want me to "quit your fucking bitching" then have the figs to actually say it. Or better yet, if this is the only way you can find to respond to a straight-forward question, then maybe you should shut the fuck up and say nothing.

In my mind, the question wasn't answered. I was given a way to do completely without by using another version of the editor. This isn't the question that was asked and so the answer as you pointed it out, wasn't much of an answer.

But thanks for your helpful input just the same. I will assume that the answer is no, that based upon you grade school reply that this community is a closed community and in order to keep it that way, that total newcomers to AutoIt should perhaps consider another product, or at the very least another place to find answers for a really nice piece of software.

I might be biased but I think you gain so much speed in coding with this AutoComplete feature that i really can't see how you can say its annoying ....

The only way I can see the AutoComplete to stop is that you use the SciTE lite version and remove the au3.api file.... ...

I will assume that the answer is no <...>

Piss off. It was answered. If you don't like the answer ... don't let the door hit ya.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Reading the Scite Help I found this.

Menu->Options->Open Au3.properties

Change this section

# Autocomplete and call tip settings
api.$(file.patterns.au3)=$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.api;$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.user.calltips.api;$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.Auto3lib.calltips.api
calltip.au3.word.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)_
calltip.au3.ignorecase=1
calltip.au3.end.definition=)
autocomplete.au3.ignorecase=1
autocomplete.au3.start.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)$_@#

To look like this

api.$(file.patterns.au3)=$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.api;$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.user.calltips.api;$(SciteDefaultHome)\api\au3.Auto3lib.calltips.api
calltip.au3.ignorecase=1
#autocomplete.au3.ignorecase=1
#autocomplete.au3.start.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)$_@#

Though I have to agree with others having autocomplete enabled speeds up my writing of code no end. Plus the chance of naming errors is much less.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

• Developers

Reading the Scite Help I found this.

Menu->Options->Open Au3.properties

Change this section

calltip.au3.ignorecase=1
autocomplete.au3.ignorecase=1
autocomplete.au3.start.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)$_@#

To look like this

calltip.au3.ignorecase=1
#autocomplete.au3.ignorecase=1
#autocomplete.au3.start.characters=$(chars.alpha)$(chars.numeric)$_@#

Though I have to agree with others having autocomplete enabled speeds up my writing of code no end. Plus the chance of naming errors is much less.

You will only get rid of it when you are not using the full SciTE4utoit3 installer because the LUA script will still force the AutoComplete popupbox showing the used words.

Now... for those who don't like the popupbox in SciTE to help you I would recommend using Notepad. I mean, why use a sharp ax to cut down the tree when you have a pocket knife that also does the job ?

<_<

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I love long discussions on trivia.. it really helps to take one's mind off of anything important.

The SciTE editor is outstanding..but.. there are occsions when it's just simpler to get just a little less help . the reason why someone might want it off isn't import.. he wants it off.

I repeat.. Lanfuage/Text.. brings up a siple blacka nd white editor (that does kill the pastels) ..let's me do what I want for the moment,.,. and then just flip it back on with Languate/Autoit. Why use a chainsaw when you just need an axe ??

• Developers

... Why use a chainsaw when you just need an axe ??

I take the chainsaw anytime if I have the option because it takes even less effort, but everybody is entiteled to their choice of tools as long as they don't moan about it ...

By the way, switching language will make him loose all tools and syntax highlighting ... cannot imagine that's what anybody wants .... but somebody might surprise me here .. <_<

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

SURPRISE ! I use the Lan Text purposely to get simple black and white. Easier to read sometimes. Tha'ts after, of course, getting all the bene's of the SCI editor. Besides ..sometimes changing the screen gives me a new persepctive on the code.. The formatting isn't lost .. just the colors

• 2 weeks later...

After a long time a found a method to stop this nonsens:

File: *\autoit\scite\autoit3.lua

Look for the lines:

-- Prevent Auto-Complete from appearing when in certain lexing styles.

if (not isValidStyle(style, style_table)) then

return CancelAutoComplete()

end

And change them to: (two comment-signs)

-- Prevent Auto-Complete from appearing when in certain lexing styles.

-- if (not isValidStyle(style, style_table)) then

return CancelAutoComplete()

-- end

And life is getting better...

• Developers

After a long time a found a method to stop this nonsens:

And life is getting better...

Sure... :P

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.