BlockInput() limitations?

A (not so) recent hotfix to Windows XP caused BlockInput() to block the Alt keypress when using Send(). I think this is a bug (With Windows XP, not with AutoIt); however it may of been intentional, I haven't seen anything official either way. Beyond that limitation, the other OS limitations are listed in the Remarks section of the help file pertaining to BlockInput().

Hi Valik,

I use BlockInput() only around mouse movements and clicks, otherwise the user can have at it. However, I noticed that the help file says, "User mouse movement is hindered during a non-instantaneous MouseMove operation." Does this make using BlockInput() redundant? Is mouse movement "hindered" during a MouseClick operation also? How about during the actual click, and delay between clicks in a double click?

Thanks for the help,

Just_Plain_Cool :ph34r:

I noticed that the help file says, "User mouse movement is hindered during a non-instantaneous MouseMove operation."  Does this make using BlockInput() redundant?

No, because you might have delays where you wait for windows, where the mouse isn't moving, or when you are clicking that the user could still interfere. And even if the mouse isn't a problem, many users know how to use the keyboard to do many tasks you could with a mouse. Just because they can't move the mouse doesn't mean they couldn't alt-tab to a new window or close the one the mouse is moving to.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

U can disable taskmanager with a simple registry edit so even if ctrl+alt+del are pressed the user cant kill the process for ur script in taskmgr.

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Policies\System","DisableTaskMgr","REG_DWORD","1")

And when ur script is done to enable taskmanager use

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Policies\System","DisableTaskMgr","REG_DWORD","0")

Ive only tested this in winxp........Im sure someone out there can find a nice use for this powerfull piece of code ! :ph34r:

Sometimes users are not allowed to alter registry keys depeing on permissions and any 3rd party security software installed. You could always spawn a 2nd instance to do nothing but insure the 1st process is running, and start it if it's not. The first would do the same thing for the 2nd via AdLib, so the only way to kill the program would be to shut both down at the exact same time.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Actually thats a areally good idea pekster,ud proberly have to write a batch to kill both processes at the thesame time and theres no way u can do that if user input has been blocked by the script anyway!

I only really use the disable taskmanager reg edit when im locking down a user account on one of my boxes.

It wont work if u dont have premission to edt the registry