will this do what i want?

keleko

i know nothing about access (almost) v.need to create some reports

specifially, access 97 (i know i know i know, somewhere around april they'll be migrating to sql)

i have about 50+ reports that need to be run, copied to another folder, then about 14 emails sent (different reports to different addresses)

currently, it's :

radmin (remote desktop) to open database on server, run a report, open database local, run another report

alternate between the two as they finish, save as *****.snp to a specific directory, overwriting current file

and there's 3 different databases to do this on

save all the newly created files to a new folder with that day's date (i.e. 11-22-06)

make new email, use distribution list, copy shortcuts to a specific file or set of files (the .snp) and send

make another new email, repeat process with different list and different files

as you read that, and then read more, you might ask why create a new folder and then copy those new reports there instead of just making the final folder and saving to that

i don't know, that's just how they want it, so we'll keep it like that

takes about 2 hours to do right now, would like to make it take 2 minutes (excluding time to actually run the reports, some take up to 5 minutes and some take 2 seconds) but i have no idea how to make a script to do this

i need my time available for other things that need to be done around here, not running reports that can and should be done automatically

obtw, these are critical reports, otherwise they managers in various depts. of the plant have no idea what needs to be done that day

they HAVE to be emailed by ~8am (i get up at 5 and start running them by 6am)

in the past, (years ago, v.7 or something) to do some automated tasks i have used AutoIT, but i haven't used it in several years, and this is all access anyway so it SHOULD be able to do this itself

so, where do i start?

could u uhh shortly abbreviate what u want. Run a report? what happens when you run the file. _INetSmtpMail can send emails and there are some other emailers in the example scripts

as im confused here are some commands to check out

_FileListToArray()

Run()

FileCopy()

_date udf

_INetSmtpMail

Edited by IQuitToLearnASM

could u uhh shortly abbreviate what u want. Run a report? what happens when you run the file. _INetSmtpMail can send emails and there are some other emailers in the example scripts

there's no abbreviation here, it's all lonnnnnnnnnng drawwwwwwwn out

to run reports

launch radmin

connect to server

launch access

open database

run report

*wait while report runs*

when report is done, save to a directory as ******.snp

overwrite current file

launch access on local while waiting for said report to run

open same database

run a different report

*wait while report runs*

when report is done, save to a directory as ******.snp

overwrite current file

rinse and repeat until all reports are done (some take 2 seconds, some take 5 minutes, some take massive cpu cycles, which is why we open local and remote)

rinse and repeat for all 3 databases

once all reports are done

on remote server save all newly created files to a new folder, dated today (i.e. 11-24-06)

open outlook local

create new email

TO: <specific distribution list>

attach: shortcuts to specific ****.snp files

send

create new email

TO: <specific distribution list>

attach: shortcuts to specific ****.snp files

send

rinse, repeat until all specific files are sent to all specific distribution lists

is that clearer anyway?

Edited by keleko

OK, So you just wipe up access and creates a script in it to do your work? Isn't that the simplest solution?

For future reference, when posting a thread , make its title remotely pertinent to question/subject you are posting about.

This is the support section of the forum, its meant for questions, so naming a thread "I Have A Problem", or "Question", or "Help Me My, Code Doesn't Work", or "Noob Requesting Assistance" Is redundant, and makes it harder for anyone else who has the same/similar questions as you to find the answer by searching the forums, which in turn means people often have to make extra threads and people who are answering the threads just end up repeating themselves several times over.

OK, So you just wipe up access and creates a script in it to do your work? Isn't that the simplest solution?

sure, if i knew how to do that i would

although we make codes to do stuff like that we arent magical enough to do what you want as a request. In order to debug and everything like that takes time. I suggest you start learning autoit again because if you would like to automate your job then uh i can't help you.

i wasn't specifically asking "can you do this for me", i'm asking if this app will follow through to do what i want

last i knew, autoit would "follow" your mouse clicks, and create a script that would essentially do those

but like i said, i haven't used it in a whole lotta years so i don't know if it will do what i want

if it comes to having to re-learn access and scripting all over again, what's the point of using autoit?

last i knew, autoit would "follow" your mouse clicks, and create a script that would essentially do those

but like i said, i haven't used it in a whole lotta years so i don't know if it will do what i want

if it comes to having to re-learn access and scripting all over again, what's the point of using autoit?

AutoIt is designed to automate tasks, as you know, and it is incredibly flexible and powerful in that regard - but with that power comes a responsibility on the part of the user to learn how to effectively wield it. That's the price we all pay when we use this particular user-supported (not to mention free) scripting language.

It takes only a few hours of studying and scripting to save yourself hundreds more.

That, I believe, is the point of AutoIt.

As to your task, it sounds like a reasonably straightforward assignment, and I can assure you AutoIt can handle every step of it. To start out, I would break each of your steps down into pseudo code and then work on coding each step in succession, testing the whole script as you go.

When you have a question about a particular step, bring it here, and make sure you detail out the problem. Quite a few of the people here sit on this board for hours waiting to help someone with a well-explained problem. A lot of people are full of passion regarding AutoIt and WILL help you if you show an interest in helping yourself as well. It worked for me.

Breaking a big project down into a series of manageable steps helps to calm the sensation of being overwhelmed, and also helps to keep code from turning into spaghetti.

I would also plan on attempting to learn AutoIt COM. It will interact with Access on a lower level than clicks and keystrokes, greatly streamlining your task. Seasoned AutoIt users will tell you that when it comes to MS Office, COM is the way to go.

The AutoIt help manual is really good. I mean, REALLY good. I use it every day. I strongly recommend you get to know it.

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

AutoIt is designed to automate tasks, as you know, and it is incredibly flexible and powerful in that regard - but with that power comes a responsibility on the part of the user to learn how to effectively wield it. That's the price we all pay when we use this particular user-supported (not to mention free) scripting language.

It takes only a few hours of studying and scripting to save yourself hundreds more.

That, I believe, is the point of AutoIt.

you make good points all around

the problem is, i have zero desire to invest that much time or effort into learning something i won't use ever again once it's working (other than minor maintenance if reports change)

we'll be moving to SQL in 4-5 months

i'd just like to sleep a bit later (or use my time to fix other problems on the network) and have a computer do what it's designed to do

automated tasks

As to your task, it sounds like a reasonably straightforward assignment, and I can assure you AutoIt can handle every step of it. To start out, I would break each of your steps down into pseudo code and then work on coding each step in succession, testing the whole script as you go.

When you have a question about a particular step, bring it here, and make sure you detail out the problem. Quite a few of the people here sit on this board for hours waiting to help someone with a well-explained problem. A lot of people are full of passion regarding AutoIt and WILL help you if you show an interest in helping yourself as well. It worked for me.

Breaking a big project down into a series of manageable steps helps to calm the sensation of being overwhelmed, and also helps to keep code from turning into spaghetti.

what i posted above is pretty much the entire step by step process

I would also plan on attempting to learn AutoIt COM. It will interact with Access on a lower level than clicks and keystrokes, greatly streamlining your task. Seasoned AutoIt users will tell you that when it comes to MS Office, COM is the way to go.

hmm, haven't heard of that one

what about following mouse clicks, and translating/transforming into this COM?

The AutoIt help manual is really good. I mean, REALLY good. I use it every day. I strongly recommend you get to know it.

-S

no doubt it is

Edited by keleko

the problem is, i have zero desire to invest that much time or effort into learning something i won't use ever again once it's working (other than minor maintenance if reports change)

i'd just like to sleep a bit later (or use my time to fix other problems on the network) and have a computer do what it's designed to do

automated tasks

My apologies, then. What you seem to be saying is your time isn't worth your time - and, while I don't quite get it, I respect your decision. The problem is, you're asking for some very specific help to problems that aren't quite detailed enough yet to answer accordingly.

Perhaps you should commission someone to write the script, for a donation to AutoIt.

A parting word or two:

AutoIt is akin to a savings account with a 90% interest rate. An investment of time returns to the principal far more than invested.

Or, in simpler terms, it makes much more sense to spend a few hours of work to gain a hundred hours of laziness, than to spend hours working - all the while pining for the extra time you don't have.

Here's to hoping those 4-5 months pass by quickly! ;)

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

Perhaps you should commission someone to write the script, for a donation to AutoIt.

http://www.rentacoder.com

People here don't often take kindly to being bothered by PMs in which people offer money to code.

But locodarwin made many excellent points in those last posts of his. You should take his advice.

And i agree with him wholeheartedly

===========================

Here is my problem, you say this

i wasn't specifically asking "can you do this for me"...

Then say this:

the problem is, i have zero desire to invest that much time or effort into learning something i won't use ever again once it's working

How do you plan to get this script done? You don't want us to do it for you, but you don't want to learn how to do it yourself. Is there another option that I'm missing? Edited by Paulie

... the problem is, i have zero desire to invest that much time or effort into learning something i won't use ever again once it's working (other than minor maintenance if reports change)

automated tasks

Now there is a contradiction for you. You want your computer to do automated tasks but you don't want to learn the automation tools.

hmm, I suppose you have read the tutorials in the help file by now and are well into solving your problem. ;)

....Here is my problem, you say this

Then say this:

How do you plan to get this script done? You don't want us to do it for you, but you don't want to learn how to do it yourself. Is there another option that I'm missing?

;)

i dunno

maybe if there was a really short script that would open that remote database, run a report, and save it to a diretory, i can expand on it and make it do things i need

i.e., just something small to start off with :lmao:

but if autoit can follow my clicks and emulate them it shouldn't be a problem, right?

AutoIt is akin to a savings account with a 90% interest rate. An investment of time returns to the principal far more than invested.

That is a great analogy, if you invest some time into AutoIt, you will be very pleased with the results. For example, if you make a script to do your reports for you... you will be able to sleep later EVERY DAY! Do you enjoy waking up at 5:00 every day?

P.S. I want a savings account like that!

What goes around comes around... Payback's a bitch.

paulie yes i see what your saying but the fact is this is his job and personally i dont think he knows what he's getting into. Thus since mouseclicks are so unreliable and this is his job which if this stuff isnt done then his job is at stake mouse clicks would be jeopardizing his freakin job . Say the window doesnt pop up in the same place each time or there was an error and yeah mouse clicks aint going to be able to help him out