Multiboot problems

i386

I have three partitions on my computer; one partion is my Vista RC1 beta, another is my WinXP, and the other I am using for my documents, scripts, and files that I can't replace that are being stored till they are backed up on a remote FTP server.

The problem is I had to reinstall Vista cause of some beta problems that were causing it to run slow and not function properly. When I did the reinstall the bootstrap manager either got deleted or wrote over and I can not load WinXP anymore during the boot up of my system. I still have the previous install of WinXP on there and I would hate to redo everything all over again. I have some important files on the WinXP partition and I really can't get them back again if I reformat and everything.

When I installed Vista before it automatically detected the WinXP partition and setup a choice menu during the startup of the system. Now it won't detect it at all. I can still access the files in Vista but I can not run WinXP. Any suggestions?

I know that this is not an OS forum or anything, but I trust almost everyone here more than I do at Microsoft. So, any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks again,

terrabyte

EDIT:

Just to let you all know as well, I tried to do a recovery of the system with the WinXP install CD, but it tells me that it runs out of virtual memory when I start the CD.

Edited by terrabyte
Spoiler

"...Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." --The Mentor

"Mess with the best, die like the rest!!" -Hackers

"This above all to thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare

"Corruption is only as corrupted as the individual makes it out to be." -i386

style7,AutoIt.png

Have you tried reformating then re-installing both?

I would like that to be my last and final option. Like I said before, I have some important files on there and I would hate to go through all that hassel if I can avoid it.

Spoiler

"...Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." --The Mentor

style7,AutoIt.png

I would like that to be my last and final option. Like I said before, I have some important files on there and I would hate to go through all that hassel if I can avoid it.

look into boot.ini - that is the file that has the options - you can find much @ google

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

look into boot.ini - that is the file that has the options - you can find much @ google

Boot.ini is not anywhere to be found...and Vista doesn't use a boot.ini file to bootup.

Microsoft claims that the new advanced bootfile, that can be accessed through the DOS prompt using the BCDEdit command, makes the new OS much more stable than previous versions of Windows. But the BCDEdit command doesn't seem to be helping me to much to edit the boot file for Vista to access WinXP.

Spoiler

style7,AutoIt.png

Boot.ini is not anywhere to be found...and Vista doesn't use a boot.ini file to bootup.

Microsoft claims that the new advanced bootfile, that can be accessed through the DOS prompt using the BCDEdit command, makes the new OS much more stable than previous versions of Windows. But the BCDEdit command doesn't seem to be helping me to much to edit the boot file for Vista to access WinXP.

Did you look at this page

at the bottom it explains now to add a OS - How to modify BCD when installing a previous version of Windows onto a computer running Windows Vista

Maybe that and looking into the boot.ini will help you as it appears that the older OS will still use the boot file

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

And if nitekram link don't work, hopefully you computer has a floppy drive. My computer doesn't have one or a least I haven't used one in about 3 years. Any way you can copy the following files into a floppy disk and boot with the floppy disk.

1) NTLDR

2) BOOT.INI

3) NTDETECT.COM

Just modify the boot.ini to boot from the windows xp partition.

AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

Boot up with your XP CD to the Recovery Console, and run the FIXBOOT command.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Easier to read: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=234019

Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!