Scite SaveAs Problem

Bounda

"whenever i save a file, i have to manually type .au3 because theres nothing to select in the dropdown box.. help plz"

and

"know but it used to and now it doesnt and idk wtf i did lol"

is a total of 178 characters, .au3 is a total of 4 characters, therefore 178/4 = about 44, you could have just typed the .au3 extension 44 times!

"whenever i save a file, i have to manually type .au3 because theres nothing to select in the dropdown box.. help plz"

and

is a total of 178 characters, .au3 is a total of 4 characters, therefore 178/4 = about 44, you could have just typed the .au3 extension 44 times!

lol nice

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

Not only was it a waste of characters, as has been pointed out, 60 of those characters were a complete waste in another fashion. SciTE has never appended the file extension using Save As. SciTE doesn't even have the capability to do that since nobody has implemented the necessary code in SciTE. So stating that SciTE used to do that is just plain wrong because it never did.

• 1 month later...

is a total of 178 characters, therefore 178/4 = about 44, you could have just typed the .au3 extension 44 times!

..another way of looking at that is ".au3 is a total of 4 characters, you have saved 44 documents, therefore you could have just typed 178 characters of code!".

I'll piss away a few characters myself and say "Preach on, Bounda". When you download an app called "SciTE4AutoIt3", which comes stock with features like "Autoit3 syntax check ", "Autoit3 code wizard", "Tidy Autoit3", and "Compile Autoit3",..the last thing you'd expect on saving is for it to go "So,...what type file are we working on today?". Whaaaa? It even taunts you with a mock "Save as type..." window that doesn't do a thing when pressed. It could at least give me the finger and tell me I've been PunKeD or something.

I'm way too accustomed to not having to enter an extension manually, so my ritual in Scite is typically to save "MYFILE" as some extension-less freak on accident, groan, throw away the rest of my doobie, save it one more time as "MYFILE.au3", find the original gimp, delete it, return to Scite, retreive doobie from garbage can, and carry on. Even if I am on my game enough to remember the extension, I'm still using a precious .5 seconds when compared to any other editor I've used. If I need to test a script in a hurry, naming it "t" or "{SLAP KEYBOARD HERE}" as I'm used to won't do the trick. If I want to quickly highlight a chunk of code and copy/paste it as the script's filename on save; it requires that I let go of the mouse for an extra step of appending the extension. All laziness aside, it's hurt my productivity enough to come here and search for a quickee solution before setting out to code a fix in Autoit.

I hope nobody takes my little whine as Scite-bashing, it is an excellent app. I'm just trying to get it adjusted for the long haul. I also felt oblidged to take half of the "what a stupid-question" -heat for Bounda since he obviously took a bullet for me. :)

I am not really tring to start any trouble, but take a look at this as it may help you.

What issue?

If you want a feature added then that is what the Tools dropdown selection is for. This is what I use to start a temp script and if it is worth keeping, then I copy it to a file that I create with a right-click. I have a folder called "tools" which has my feature type of scripts to enhance Scite.

I add this to User Options:

# Tools folder
tools=$(SciteDefaultHome)\tools

# 43 TempScript (Custom)
command.name.43.*=TEMP Script
command.subsystem.43.*=2
command.43.*="$(tools)\TempScript.exe"
command.shortcut.43.*=Alt+S
command.save.before.43.*=0
command.quiet.43.*=1

I modded the above alittle as I do not compile my tool scripts as I use AutoIt3.exe to run them as Au3 files (for ease and save space).

And I have this in a subdirectory of Scite.

; temp script

DirCreate(@TempDir & '\Au3')
$tempfile = _TempFile(@TempDir & '\Au3', 'TEMP_', '.au3', 3)
$scite = @ScriptDir & '\..\Scite.exe'

FileWrite($tempfile, '; Temporary Script  ' & StringReplace($tempfile, @TempDir & '\Au3\', '') & @CRLF & @CRLF)

If FileExists($scite) And FileExists($tempfile) Then
    $tempfile = StringReplace($tempfile, '\', '\\')
    Run('"' & $scite & '" "-open:' & $tempfile & '" "-goto:3"')
EndIf

Exit

Func OnAutoItStart()
    Local $title = @ScriptName & ' Interpreter'
    If WinExists($title) Then Exit
    AutoitWinSetTitle($title)
EndFunc

Func _TempFile($s_DirectoryName = @TempDir, $s_FilePrefix = "~", $s_FileExtension = ".tmp", $i_RandomLength = 7)
    Local $s_TempName
; Check parameters
    If Not FileExists($s_DirectoryName) Then $s_DirectoryName = @TempDir ; First reset to default temp dir
    If Not FileExists($s_DirectoryName) Then $s_DirectoryName = @ScriptDir; Still wrong then set to Scriptdir
; add trailing \ for directory name
    If StringRight($s_DirectoryName, 1) <> "\" Then $s_DirectoryName = $s_DirectoryName & "\"
    Do
        $s_TempName = ""
        While StringLen($s_TempName) < $i_RandomLength
            $s_TempName = $s_TempName & Chr(Random(97, 122, 1))
        WEnd
        $s_TempName = $s_DirectoryName & $s_FilePrefix & $s_TempName & $s_FileExtension
    Until Not FileExists($s_TempName)
    Return ($s_TempName)
EndFunc

@JdeB, perhaps a consideration of a permanent feature like this could be added. Save alotta junk scripts on the PC. Mine have reduced alot since adopting this idea. Just an idea. :)

This has no reflection on the Save As for what started this thread. You still need to nominate extention for Save As.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll