Question about NETComm.ocx

Hi,

I wrote a litte tool for logging data via RS232 on the comport.

I am using NETComm.ocx for this. I developped this on a PC that had MSCOMM32.OCX installed on it and ad no problems with the tool. Now I installed the tool on another PC, registered NETComm.ocx and when I start the tool I get an Runtime error 339 - that says that MSCOMM32.ocx is not registered.

Why do I get this error ? I thougt that using NETComm.ocx I wouldn´t need the microsoft ocx !

Can someone help me ?

SanchoPanza

No,

I downloaded it from http://www.hardandsoftware.net/ because I read about it here in the forum and I thought I wouldn´t need mscomm32.ocx.

Now I made a test and istalled the package from this site again on my other PC instead of only copying the netcomm.ocx. Now O saw, that it also installes the mscomm32.ocx on this system :lmao:

I´m really confused ;)

Hi,

I wrote a litte tool for logging data via RS232 on the comport.

I am using NETComm.ocx for this. I developped this on a PC that had MSCOMM32.OCX installed on it and ad no problems with the tool. Now I installed the tool on another PC, registered NETComm.ocx and when I start the tool I get an Runtime error 339 - that says that MSCOMM32.ocx is not registered.

Why do I get this error ? I thougt that using NETComm.ocx I wouldn´t need the microsoft ocx !

Can someone help me ?

SanchoPanza

Did you read the information about Netcomm.ocx?

http://home.comcast.net/~hardandsoftware/NETCommOCX.htm

The NETCommOCX is an ActiveX control that wraps the functionality of MSComm32.ocx.

It's just a wrapper for MSComm32.ocx for which you need a runtime license. See this thread: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13890. Actually I don't understand the licensing of MSComm32.ocx with NETCommOCX. You should ask the developper of it, Richard Grier!

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

I have installed and used it on machines without MSComm32... I too am confused by the quote that Kurt found, but I don't believe there is any reliance on MSComm32 or any licensing issues.

I would be suspicious that your component registration didn't work properly... have you tried removing and readding?

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I have installed and used it on machines without MSComm32... I too am confused by the quote that Kurt found, but I don't believe there is any reliance on MSComm32 or any licensing issues.

I would be suspicious that your component registration didn't work properly... have you tried removing and readding?

Dale

Did you install the package downloaded from hardansoftware (NetCommOCX.zip) with it´s setup on the system or only the ocx file ? Because the first time I only took the ocx and it came up with the error, that mscomm32.ocx was not registered. Then I installed it with the setup.exe and it worked fine. I took a look at the system32 folder and saw, that now there was a mscomm32.ocx - so this package contains a mscomm32.ocx.

The question is , if it is the original ocx or only a "pseudo" ocx for make the netcomm.ocx work - without licence problem . I will try to get an answer from the developper.

Did you install the package downloaded from hardansoftware (NetCommOCX.zip) with it´s setup on the system or only the ocx file ? Because the first time I only took the ocx and it came up with the error, that mscomm32.ocx was not registered. Then I installed it with the setup.exe and it worked fine. I took a look at the system32 folder and saw, that now there was a mscomm32.ocx - so this package contains a mscomm32.ocx.

The question is , if it is the original ocx or only a "pseudo" ocx for make the netcomm.ocx work - without licence problem . I will try to get an answer from the developper.

it's the original M$ mscomm32.ocx that get's installed. I just verified that. Either he is violating the M$ license or he obtained a runtime license for mscomm32.ocx. As the whole M$ licensing process for mscomm32.ocx is more than unclear to me, I don't know which is true. Nevertheless NetcommOCX is "just" a wrapper for Mscomm32.ocx.

BTW: And yes, NetcommOCX works if installed with the setup tool (including the mscomm32.ocx).

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

it's the original M$ mscomm32.ocx that get's installed. I just verified that. Either he is violating the M$ license or he obtained a runtime license for mscomm32.ocx. As the whole M$ licensing process for mscomm32.ocx is more than unclear to me, I don't know which is true. Nevertheless NetcommOCX is "just" a wrapper for Mscomm32.ocx.

BTW: And yes, NetcommOCX works if installed with the setup tool (including the mscomm32.ocx).

Cheers

Kurt

Thanks for your answer.

I also got it work when installed with the setup tool - only wondered why mscomm32.ocx got installed.

But ok - I asked the developper and he wrote

NETComm.ocx is a wrapper around MSComm32.ocx. So, MSComm is required. The

setup program for NETComm installs both NETComm.ocx and MSComm32.ocx -- and

it registers both. If you redistribute NETComm.ocx you should use some sort

of setup program or wizard. ...

If you use NETComm.ocx, you do not have to have VS 6 (or VB6) installed to

use it. This solves the licensing issue that MSComm32.ocx has, when you

attempt to use it without Visual Studio 6 or VB 6 installed.

So long

SP

Thanks for the followup - I was unaware taht the MSComm was installed along with NetComm.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble