Obtain list of Processes/Applications from "Task Manager"

Sara

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See ProcessList () in the AutoIt help file.

Edit: how rude of me - Welcome to the forums :-)

Thanks for a warm welcome.

I don't want to use this function. I want to read it directly from the task manager, that's the requirement.

Maybe explain better what you're trying to do, because the below looks like what want?

$a = ProcessList()

$list = 'Total Processes: ' & $a[0][0] & @CRLF & @CRLF

For $i = 1 To $a[0][0]
    $list &= 'Process: ' & $a[$i][0] & ' (' & $a[$i][1] & ')' & @CRLF
Next

MsgBox(0, '', $list)
Edited by xcal

why do you need to read it directly from the task manager? serious question...

I want to read the processes from "Task Manager", then compare them to the processes returned by ProcessList(). Worst case atleast make sure that "Processes" tab in "Task Manager" is not empty.

I am able to navigate between Task Manager's 5 tabs using "ControlCommand", however the problem is that I am having hard time reading processes directly from "Task Manager". I tried to use ControlListView, no good results ;).

I also want to make sure that "Applications" tab in "Task Manager" shows currently running applications. However I may not not validate it, just want to make sure that it is not empty.

• 1 year later...

$a = ProcessList()

$list = 'Total Processes: ' & $a[0][0] & @CRLF & @CRLF

For $i = 1 To $a[0][0]
    $list &= 'Process: ' & $a[$i][0] & ' (' & $a[$i][1] & ')' & @CRLF
Next

MsgBox(0, '', $list)oÝ÷ Ûú®¢×¢¹âHÞÜ!zv¬yªÜ(Ûŧ-,!jÒ'yçe¶-!Ú'ßÛn׫²Ö§vØ^v'ßz·§qæÞ·úèqë,.+-jwSjÉjv z»(¶«{l²¶§w°~æzÚ%¢.¥«v'gßÛ^½éän­¶¬ªê->ºzËËjºwÞ[e¢X-ëZ,ÊØb³¥Ú-èèlÞyØî²×âæò¶¥¢,¡ø­#f$x¢¼+תê-µêæv­zèqë,ªê-·*^¡û®*mnëm+-g­êÞj·ºjl¶%¢Ç°ØZªè,r¸©¶ØZ´(¶Ø«yØî²Ûay"
¢§x.¥6¬È+éíx¢»ayéí®'¬"wu©Ý{¶¢­Ê§Ø^¦ºzË'jgÊjøjبíæ¢÷¬r¸©¶ÈhÂx^­æÞ,y鬶b²×¯z¼­)à®éçxÒ7ö÷©àyØ­¶î²ÛÛaz)ߢÚ-ç%èj·ZºÚ"µÍÌÍØHHØÙÜÓÝ

BÌÍÛÝH  ÌÎNÕÝ[ØÙÜÙΠ   ÌÎNÈ [È ÌÍØVÌVÌH   [ÈÔ   [ÈÔÜ ÌÍÚHHHÈ ÌÍØVÌVÌB   ÌÍÛÝ    [ÏH    ÌÎNÔØÙÜÎ ÌÎNÈ [È ÌÍØVÉÌÍÚWVÌH    [È ÌÎNÈ
    ÌÎNÈ [È ÌÍØVÉÌÍÚWVÌWH   [È ÌÎNÊIÌÎNÈ [ÈÔ^Û]
    ÌÍÛÝ

The only thing I found that needs fine-tuning is the format of the output. When I paste from the clipboard, I get these type of results:

Process: mspaint.exe (2192)
Process: services.exe (432)
Process: lsass.exe (444)
Process: svchost.exe (596)
Process: svchost.exe (656)
Process: FaxCtrl.exe (540)

Would there be a way to strip some of the extra, unneeded text and to sort the result so that one gets this type of format, instead; also with just the process name? (I don't care about duplicates <g>):

FaxCtrl.exe
lsass.exe
mspaint.exe
services.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe

Thanks! :)

$a = ProcessList()
$List = ""
_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
For $i = 1 To $a[0][0]
    $list &= $a[$i][0] & @CRLF
Next

ClipPut($list)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

$a = ProcessList()
$List = ""
_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
For $i = 1 To $a[0][0]
Next

ClipPut($list)
Awesome, I was afraid code would get complicated, but when it's fixed, it'll still be elegant and simple and streamlined!

I'm getting an error at this point, like this:

_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
^ERROR

Error:  Unknown function name.
I haven't a clue about these error codes most of the time. Anyone know what's wrong here, by any chance? I haven't a clue. Perhaps I'm missing a "UDF", I believe they're called, or something (??) ...

Cheers. :)

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Moderators

Awesome, I was afraid code would get complicated, but when it's fixed, it'll still be elegant and simple and streamlined!

_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
^ERROR

I haven't a clue about these error codes most of the time. Anyone know what's wrong here, by any chance? I haven't a clue. Perhaps I'm missing a "UDF", I believe they're called, or something (??) ...

Cheers. :D

:) Um... :)

Kind of have to include the array.au3 file in there :)

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Try this..

Func Process($PC)

$wbemFlagReturnImmediately = 0x10

$wbemFlagForwardOnly = 0x20

$colItems = ""

$PC = GUICtrlRead($AInput21)

If GUICtrlRead($AInput21) = "" Then

GUICtrlSetData($AInput21, "localhost")

Else

EndIf

$var = Ping($PC, 100)

If $var Then

Else

MsgBox(0, "Status", "An error occured with Computer: " & $PC & ". Switching to Localhost")

$PC = "localhost"

GUICtrlSetData($AInput21, $PC)

EndIf

$Output = ""

$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $PC & "\root\CIMV2")

If Not IsObj($objWMIService) Then

;ContinueLoop

Else

EndIf

$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)

If IsObj($colItems) Then

For $objItem In $colItems

$Output = $Output & "Name: " & $objItem.Caption

GUICtrlSetData($AList3, $Output)

$Output = ""

Next

Else

;MsgBox(0, "WMI Output", "No WMI Objects Found for class: " & "Win32_Process")

EndIf

EndFunc ;==>Process

Works damn good.. still a couple bugs to fix..

_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
^ERROR

Cheers. :)

Smoke_N is correct. I forgot to add #Include<array.au3> to the top of the code. :)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Try this..

Func Process($PC)

$wbemFlagReturnImmediately = 0x10
    $wbemFlagForwardOnly = 0x20
    $colItems = ""

If GUICtrlRead($AInput21) = "" Then
        GUICtrlSetData($AInput21, "localhost")
    Else
    EndIf

$var = Ping($PC, 100)

If $var Then
    Else
        MsgBox(0, "Status", "An error occured with Computer: " & $PC & ". Switching to Localhost")
        $PC = "localhost"
        GUICtrlSetData($AInput21, $PC)
    EndIf
    $Output = ""
    $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $PC & "\root\CIMV2")
    If Not IsObj($objWMIService) Then
        ;ContinueLoop
    Else
        EndIf   
    $colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)

If IsObj($colItems) Then
        For $objItem In $colItems
            $Output = $Output & "Name: " & $objItem.Caption
            GUICtrlSetData($AList3, $Output)
            $Output = ""
        Next
    Else
        ;MsgBox(0, "WMI Output", "No WMI Objects Found for class: " & "Win32_Process")
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Process
Works damn good.. still a couple bugs to fix..
Ummm ... glad it works for you ... <g> I get the "nothing happens" scenario ... busy cursor comes up, but that's it. Hmmm ...

Smoke_N is correct. I forgot to add #Include<array.au3> to the top of the code. :)

This one gave scary result <g>. I don't know if I modified the code correctly, but as far as my knowledge goes, this is what I would know how to do to fix:
#Include<array.au3>

$a = ProcessList()
$List = ""
_ArraySort($a, 0, 1)
For $i = 1 To $a[0][0]
Next

ClipPut($list)

The error code that comes up this time is this:

Line 680 (File "E:\APPS\AutoIt\APP- AutoIt\Include\array.au3"):

Local $pivot = $array([Int(($left + $right) / 2)]
Local $pivot = ^ERROR

Error:  Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.
Argggh, this could be in Chinese or Greek for all that tells me <g>. The thing that makes me go "ack!" is the line # quoted: "LINE 680"??!!! There are only 10 lines in the script and 46 processes listed in Task Manager so I don't know where in heck it's getting line "680" from! <g>

So, anyone know what the deal is this time? <g> These errors sure get interesting ...

Thanks. :)

That's refering to line 680 of array.au3. It looks like you are also using an older version of that file. What version of AutoIt do you have installed? The new array.au3 file totally messes up some older code but I think I still have a replacement function or complete file that solves it.

George

OK lets try this again.

Comment out the #include<array.au3> line and add these functions to the end of your script.

Func _ArraySort(ByRef $a_Array, $i_Decending = 0, $i_Base = 0, $i_UBound = 0, $i_Dim = 1, $i_SortIndex = 0)
; Set to ubound when not specified
    If Not IsArray($a_Array) Then
        SetError(1)
        Return 0
    EndIf
    Local $last = UBound($a_Array) - 1
    If $i_UBound < 1 Or $i_UBound > $last Then $i_UBound = $last

If $i_Dim = 1 Then
        __ArrayQSort1($a_Array, $i_Base, $i_UBound)
    Else
        __ArrayQSort2($a_Array, $i_Base, $i_UBound, $i_Dim, $i_SortIndex, $i_Decending)
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc  ;==>_ArraySort

Func __ArrayQSort1(ByRef $array, ByRef $left, ByRef $right)
    Local $i, $j, $t
    If $right - $left < 10 Then
    ; InsertSort - fastest on small segments (= 25% total speedup)
        For $i = $left + 1 To $right
            $t = $array[$i]
            $j = $i
            While $j > $left _
                    And ((IsNumber($array[$j - 1]) = IsNumber($t) And $array[$j - 1] > $t) _
                    Or (IsNumber($array[$j - 1]) <> IsNumber($t) And String($array[$j - 1]) > String($t)))
                $array[$j] = $array[$j - 1]
                $j = $j - 1
            WEnd
            $array[$j] = $t
        Next
        Return
    EndIf

; QuickSort - fastest on large segments
    Local $pivot = $array[Int(($left + $right) / 2) ]
    Local $L = $left
    Local $R = $right
    Do
        While ((IsNumber($array[$L]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$L] < $pivot) _
                Or (IsNumber($array[$L]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$L]) < String($pivot)))
        ;While $array[$L] < $pivot
            $L = $L + 1
        WEnd
        While ((IsNumber($array[$R]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$R] > $pivot) _
                Or (IsNumber($array[$R]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$R]) > String($pivot)))
        ;   While $array[$R] > $pivot
            $R = $R - 1
        WEnd
    ; Swap
        If $L <= $R Then
            $t = $array[$L]
            $array[$L] = $array[$R]
            $array[$R] = $t
            $L = $L + 1
            $R = $R - 1
        EndIf
    Until $L > $R

__ArrayQSort1($array, $left, $R)
    __ArrayQSort1($array, $L, $right)
EndFunc  ;==>__ArrayQSort1

Func __ArrayQSort2(ByRef $array, ByRef $left, ByRef $right, ByRef $dim2, ByRef $sortIdx, ByRef $decend)
    If $left >= $right Then Return
    Local $t, $d2 = $dim2 - 1
    Local $pivot = $array[Int(($left + $right) / 2) ][$sortIdx]
    Local $L = $left
    Local $R = $right
    Do
        If $decend Then
            While ((IsNumber($array[$L][$sortIdx]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$L][$sortIdx] > $pivot) _
                    Or (IsNumber($array[$L][$sortIdx]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$L][$sortIdx]) > String($pivot)))
            ;While $array[$L][$sortIdx] > $pivot
                $L = $L + 1
            WEnd
            While ((IsNumber($array[$R][$sortIdx]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$R][$sortIdx] < $pivot) _
                    Or (IsNumber($array[$R][$sortIdx]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$R][$sortIdx]) < String($pivot)))
            ;While $array[$R][$sortIdx] < $pivot
                $R = $R - 1
            WEnd
        Else
            While ((IsNumber($array[$L][$sortIdx]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$L][$sortIdx] < $pivot) _
                    Or (IsNumber($array[$L][$sortIdx]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$L][$sortIdx]) < String($pivot)))
            ;While $array[$L][$sortIdx] < $pivot
                $L = $L + 1
            WEnd
            While ((IsNumber($array[$R][$sortIdx]) = IsNumber($pivot) And $array[$R][$sortIdx] > $pivot) _
                    Or (IsNumber($array[$R][$sortIdx]) <> IsNumber($pivot) And String($array[$R][$sortIdx]) > String($pivot)))
            ;While $array[$R][$sortIdx] > $pivot
                $R = $R - 1
            WEnd
        EndIf
        If $L <= $R Then
            For $x = 0 To $d2
                $t = $array[$L][$x]
                $array[$L][$x] = $array[$R][$x]
                $array[$R][$x] = $t
            Next
            $L = $L + 1
            $R = $R - 1
        EndIf
    Until $L > $R

__ArrayQSort2($array, $left, $R, $dim2, $sortIdx, $decend)
    __ArrayQSort2($array, $L, $right, $dim2, $sortIdx, $decend)
EndFunc  ;==>__ArrayQSort2

George

Nope. Something else is wrong as I'm still getting an error despite all your great efforts. So problem might might very well lie elsewhere.

This actually raises a question I've been meaning to ask for a couple of years but keep forgetting about -- how can we tell what version of AutoIt we actually have, pls? Once it's installed, when one clicks on the executable, all we get is a "Run Script" dialogue box that requests the filepath of an AU3 file. I don't know where to actually go for info on the version as no ABOUT reference seems to be accessible from that exe.

I install any new version of AutoIt at home and then replace all the contents on the USB flash drive (Ufd) with the new install. This works extremely well for me. But I must admit that somewhere in the hectic, frenetic last couple of months, I might not have done the job properly, or as carefully as I normally do so I can't say for certain if I actually _have_ the latest version on the Ufd. In fact, don't even know anymore which version is on here. I gave up putting version numbers on the new "install" folder and just started deleting the old folder and dumping new version into place of old one, renaming to same old name so that it's just a generic "AutoIt" name with no version #. Within last several months I seemed to be upgrading all the time and it became a pain to have to keep making the changes to the path everywhere so that AI would still run (esp. with XPs' extreme unreliability with regards to file associations).

If there is a way to know the actual version, then I can determine what's going on and perhaps from there can figure out where problem lies with this script.

Thx. :)