Run a script in two modes

SCENARIO

I have a script compiled to EXE, which runs in two modes as determined by a commandline parameter:

;   Mode1
;       BiModal.exe -mode_1 <filename>
;
;   Mode2
;       BiModal.exe -mode_2 <filename>
;

$sX = "$CmdLine[0]=" & $CmdLine[0] & @LF
    for $nX = 1 to $CmdLine[0]
        $sX = $sX & "$CmdLine[" & $nX & "]=" & $CmdLine[$nX] & @LF
    next 
    msgbox (0,"",$sX)

exit

REQUIREMENTS

I want to have a separate shortcut for each mode, so that I can drag a file onto either shortcut depending on what I want to do with the file.

PROBLEM

I can't seem to setup a shortcut that will properly pass both the mode and the dragged filename to the script! :(

The following values for the Target setting all just pass the filename, and the mode gets lost:

• "BiModal.exe" -mode_1
  • "BiModal.exe" -mode_1 %1
  • "BiModal.exe" "-mode_1" "%1"
:ph34r: Any ideas?

Edit: symantics, so as not confuse American cousins :lol:

Edited by trids

Thanks ezzetabi :( .. I think that's what I'm trying to do with the script I posted - unless I misunderstand you? Do you have any sample code?

For the record, I don't think the the problem/solution lies in AU3 itself, but rather in how I'm building the shortcut :ph34r: .

"BiModal.exe" -mode_1 works here [Windows XP Pro]

Do I understand that you want to drag a shortcut onto a shortcut and get the command line of the shortcut dragged?

Edited by this-is-me
Who else would I be?

"BiModal.exe" -mode_1 works here [Windows XP Pro]

Do I understand that you want to drag a shortcut onto a shortcut and get the command line of the shortcut dragged?

Hmmm .. maybe it's an NT thing then :( (I'm on NT4 SP6 )

What I want to do is drag a file onto either shortcut, in a way that the script knows what the file was, and also onto which shortcut the file was dropped (ie: which mode it must run in).

This seems like such a powerful fundamental feature, is it possible it was overlooked when they built NT4? Or am I missing something obvious? Anyone else having any success / failure? :ph34r:

Here's a workaround which replaces the shortcuts with BAT files instead. The following BAT file will launch the EXE with commandline parameter -mode_1 .. AND pass the dropped filename too :( :

REM    This BAT file provides a drop-target for an EXE that 
REM    accepts commandline parameters as well as a filename.

BiModal.exe -mode_1 %1

I know one should expect compromises with workarounds, but I really don't like it opening up a DOS window all the time :ph34r: .. so if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears!

BTW .. am I right in understanding from the post above, by this-is-me, that a shortcut in XP will pass both the commandline parameter as well as the name of a file dropped onto it? If this is the case, can some kind XP user please post the shortcut that allows this to happen?