Windows Management

pdaughe

Am I correct in the following understanding?

1. Events (system or control) that are registered to a function (GUISetOnEvent/GUICtrlSentOnEvent) only trigger the function if the corresponding GUI is active? This means that if a GUI is hidden, no events can occur for that GUI? If true, how then is hidden (@SW_HIDE) different than disabled (@SW_DISABLE)?

2. Saying that a window is "active" is the same as saying the window has focus? Or, do we speak only of controls as having focus?

3. When a GUI is deleted (GUIDelete) all the controls it contains are deleted. Do the events have to be explicitly disabled (e.g. GUICtrlSentOnEvent (controlID, "")? I understand that if the GUI is deleted, no events for it can be triggered, but is the storage used for registering events via (GUISetOnEvent/GUICtrlSentOnEvent) freed?

4. Obviously, I'm just getting my feet wet regarding all of this. Do you know where I can find a concise "primer" describing basic window management? My internet searches expose the subject area, but I haven't been able to find an article that just provides a general overview of "windows" in Windows. I would like to understand it better, but I don't want to get a P.H.D. in it!

Thank you for your response.

Sincerely,

Paul

I could answer number one partially as I am working on a program that does some of this but the other forum

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10

might be the better place to ask this question as it deals more with GUI.

SW_HIDE completely hides the window but I think you can still make changes to it. SW_DISABLE actually stops input processing...ie mouse clicks, typing, etc...I think...heh.

When I open my Main window and open up a child of it and disable the Main window, I cannot click the main window. When the main window is not disabled with a child opened, I can still click on menu items.

Be open minded but not gullible.A hammer sees everything as a nail ... so don't be A tool ... be many tools.