new to autoit and scripting

I just downloaded v3 in an attempt to automate a couple processes on my machine with just one click of an .exe is there a comprehensive guide to using autoit to do do this on this forum anywhere or are there coders that are willing to help a scripting n00b?

check out the help file mate.. it really is one of the best help files I've come across and for the most part the examples given in it are really easy to follow...

valuater also has a cool introduction script thingy here

and this pdf file by LxP is also a good starting place imo available here

another recommendation would be to use Scite to start off with to write the code as i found it much easier to find syntax problems in code due to it's syntax highlighting etc (make sure you save your scripts as .au3 files for it to know what language you are coding in)

problem is that i dont know the code.

Im trying to automate the process of opening local area connection and modifying the tcp/ip settings then opening a program and having it change my NIC MAC address variable to another random MAC then open a web interface and change 2 seperate boxes with info from a .txt file and press a button after each change then press a reboot button then reopen the local area connection and change the settings back to the original

I have to do this almost everyday and would like an .exe that can do it for me with the click of a button. Im just trying to figure out where to start

Im trying to automate the process of opening local area connection and modifying the tcp/ip settings

netsh and ipconfig are two useful command line utilities that deal w/ your IP configuration under XP

then opening a program and having it change my NIC MAC address variable to another random MAC then open a web interface and change 2 seperate boxes with info from a .txt file and press a button after each change then press a reboot button then reopen the local area connection and change the settings back to the original

HUH?

I have to do this almost everyday and would like an .exe that can do it for me with the click of a button. Im just trying to figure out where to start

Being lazy is hard work.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

problem is that i dont know the code.

The tutorial from Valuater will definitely show you the way on how to code.

Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3

That is one of the best tutorials. Also this is just re-instating what has already been said by fu2m8, read the help file. It has very useful examples. It explains a little bit about scripting and what its uses are.

I would recommend taking the Welcome to AutoIt tutorial as it will introduce you to AutoIt's syntax and help you learn about scripting/coding.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)