Syntax check in compiled scripts

GEOSoft

I'm just wondering if there is anyway to stop AutoIt from syntax checking a compiled file. It doesn't report anything usefull anyway since it will always report the error at line 0.

I'm not sure how long it takes to do this check on a long script (anything over 5000 lines) but if that time is significant I'd rather it not be done. If there are syntax errors, I should find them at the point where I am testing the script itself.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

You're right, you should. The fact that you get a runtime error due to syntax says you're either not using Au3Check on your scripts or you're not thoroughly testing them before releasing them. By the way, how do you expect AutoIt to execute code if it doesn't do at least a basic syntax check to make sure it's valid? We can't very well just blindly assume proper script structure.

You're right, you should. The fact that you get a runtime error due to syntax says you're either not using Au3Check on your scripts or you're not thoroughly testing them before releasing them. By the way, how do you expect AutoIt to execute code if it doesn't do at least a basic syntax check to make sure it's valid? We can't very well just blindly assume proper script structure.

I agree with your points and no AutoIt should not assume that it is a valid AutoIt script. That should have been determined when the script file was tested and again when it's compiled. Then it shouldn't be necessary to check again at runtime.

BTW: Ocassionally I run AU3Check against a script but I always test thoroughly before I try to compile it. The scrip will invariably be tested whenever I make a change to the script so I can catch errors before I add more code into the mix. Even if it's only a MsgBox(4096,'TEST',$A) type of check to make sure that whatever I'm working on is returning the expected results.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"