Changing XP Visual Effects with AutoIt

Tek

Hi everyone,

I am new to AutoIt but I am fairly adept at scripting and I have done some coding before. AutoIt looks very powerful to me thus far.

I have searched the forums here and I haven't found the information I need so here goes.

Here is what I want to try and do with it. I work for a software house and one of the tasks we normally do on a clients computer while integrating a system is to 'streamline' the operating system. This means turning off screen savers, disabling themes and adjusting the visual effects to make Windows XP run as fast as possible. At the moment, I'm not concerned about all of this, just the part about modifying the Windows XP Visual Effects for 'Best Performance'.

Is this possible? If so and if someone can direct me to some examples I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Edited by Tek

I'm not totally sure where all of this is found, although you could start here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Specifics are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes {and sub-folders}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies {and sub-folders}

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes {and sub-folders}

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

Google or just mess around with anything here, although changing the registry without careful thought is not always the best idea.

If you're completely lost, which I highly doubt, but for any others looking in; RUN: regedit

Edited by crzftx

Hi everyone,

I am new to AutoIt but I am fairly adept at scripting and I have done some coding before. AutoIt looks very powerful to me thus far.

I have searched the forums here and I haven't found the information I need so here goes.

Here is what I want to try and do with it. I work for a software house and one of the tasks we normally do on a clients computer while integrating a system is to 'streamline' the operating system. This means turning off screen savers, disabling themes and adjusting the visual effects to make Windows XP run as fast as possible. At the moment, I'm not concerned about all of this, just the part about modifying the Windows XP Visual Effects for 'Best Performance'.

Is this possible? If so and if someone can direct me to some examples I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

There are three demo scripts in Auto3Lib (Folders.au3, PerfOpts.au3 and Taskbar.au3) that show how to set things like folder views, taskbar settings and the performance options that you mention.
Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt

Thanks crzftx. I am well aware of the registry entries, I just needed an automated way of changing and applying them. Thank you though.

PaulIA, thank you very much. Your scripts seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I will play around with these and see what I can do.

Thanks crzftx. I am well aware of the registry entries, I just needed an automated way of changing and applying them. Thank you though.

PaulIA, thank you very much. Your scripts seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I will play around with these and see what I can do.

NP. If you have any questions, just post them in the Auto3Lib thread so that I don't miss them.
Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt