Making Icons

I am trying to use a picture that I have on my computer as an Icon, for use when compiling my script. The problem is that I do not know how to convert .Bmp images to .ico, when I press "Save As..." The list of file types does not include ".ico"

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or programs that are capable of changing pictures into icons.

What goes around comes around... Payback's a bitch.

Tools like icon extractor, there are many others out there that will do it also

open the picture in paint and click save as. Under file type, it doesn't matter what that is set at. Just put ".ico" at the end of the file name. It should make it an icon file.

open the picture in paint and click save as. Under file type, it doesn't matter what that is set at. Just put ".ico" at the end of the file name. It should make it an icon file.

Yea... that is fine and all, but when I want to use the "icon file" after I save it as .ico in paint.. it says it is of the wrong format. -.-

Tools like icon extractor, there are many others out there that will do it also

Have a download link, or should I just google it?

Larry once upon a time recommended me a C IDE called Pelles C.

It's a free program with only 3 MB. The IDE has a built-in icon editor. You could use that.

There's also a program I use called IconCool Studio, but it's a commercial program.

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

hmm... I downloaded an icon editor, but it can't change .bmp files into .ico files, or as far as I have searched it, it can't.

I don't need to edit any icons, I just need to convert a BMP file into an ICO file.

hmm... I downloaded an icon editor, but it can't change .bmp files into .ico files, or as far as I have searched it, it can't.

I don't need to edit any icons, I just need to convert a BMP file into an ICO file.

If your looking for something of free and pretty easy to use i could sugest you to use The Gimp

I use it and you can save in almost every format :P

The Gimp is good to use.

But, if you are looking for something that will only do converting and nothing else try IconXpert.

It's a very handy tool to view, extract and convert icons.

Features:

• Easy and quick browsing through your icon collections

• Can read PNG, ICO, BMP, DLL, ICL, EXE, CMD

• You can save icons as BMP, ICO or PNG

• You can even generate your own icon-dlls if you have borland delphi installed

• You can copy the filename or the image data of an icon to the clipboard. (Very handy)

• Easily build your own collection of ICO files

• You can add an external Iconeditor to edit the icons
Spoiler

"...Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." --The Mentor

"Mess with the best, die like the rest!!" -Hackers

"This above all to thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare

"Corruption is only as corrupted as the individual makes it out to be." -i386

style7,AutoIt.png

I prefer IrfanView for creating icons.

Just draw your *.bmp or whatever with paint, open it with IrfanView and save it as *.ico. IrfanView will ask you then for transparent colour and it's done.

"It's easier to disintegrate an atom than a prejudice." (A.Einstein)---------------------------------------------------------------------------My C++ - tools:Tidy tool-->indents your c++ sourceCleanscript --> cleans autoit-code before compiling (co-author: peethebee)My tools:GUIBuilder-->build your window and get the source; german versionMy Games:OnlineGameCenter-->Online Chess and Connect4 with a rtf-chatSnake-->including a level editor to build your own levelsTetris-->the well known game, big funOther things:Tower of Hanoi-->perfect riddler with graphic output

I prefer IrfanView for creating icons.

Just draw your *.bmp or whatever with paint, open it with IrfanView and save it as *.ico. IrfanView will ask you then for transparent colour and it's done.

Yes, i second that. Irfanview is the easiest in my opinion, AND it can be used as a command line tool so you can write your own icon converter.

But, if you are looking for something that will only do converting and nothing else try IconXpert.

Thanks for the link. I DLed it, and it does what I need. Thanks everyone else too, for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I DLed it, and it does what I need. Thanks everyone else too, for the suggestions.

Though this is an older message, had to drop a line. There's only one problem with Irfanview - yes, it does create icon files but they're not true icons, either. Though it is free for personal use, and that's a consideration, the files are not true icon files, either.

I've found that the best icon editor is Microangelo. I've tried quite a few other ones but they don't produce true icons in all cases. Microangelo does and it's the easiest to use. It's not free, though. But just to let you know.

If you ever need to edit icons, you'll find out the difficulties with using a graphics editor for working in ico formats. Also, rarely will a graphic be good enough on its own without adding or touching up via an icon editor.

Just an opinion. When one first starts out making icons, practically anything will do. But once you start doing it with any sort of frequency and customizing to your needs, you'll need a better program. Good luck.

mhhh use Any2Icon

this tool can convert bmp,gif,jpg,png,psd,wmf,dip,wbmp,jpeg,pdd,emf,cur,ani,(ico) to an icon

more Features:

this tool can also extract the icon from an exsisting file(icl,nil,dll,exe,cpl,ocq,vbx)

unfortunately this is no freeware but trust me or not, you can find a lot of registrationkeys in the worldwideweb....

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°$₪Ǿَ€Яº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø