Script runs in SciTE but not when compiled

I'm frustrated, and I have no idea where to begin. The newest version of my script will run in SciTE but not when compiled to an executable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this, or perhaps how to go about diagnosing what the problem is?

Unfortunately for security reasons I cannot post my script, but as I said before it works in SciTE, so I don't think my code is the issue.

Edited by Lord Maim

There are issues between uncompiled and compiled scripts... And other things that could attribute, but without seeing code... we are stuck...

So, try to create a script that recreates the problem, without the sensitive stuff, or we will likely not be able to help.

Lar.

There haven't been any significant changes to my script that I know of since the last version, but it has been six days since my last compile that still works, and nine days since my last backup of the script, and I don't look forward to trying to remember every change that was made and recompile it at each step along the way to identify the issue.

I understand that it is difficult to help without code, but there must be a list of certain things that contribute to such a situation. The script runs perfectly in SciTE, but when compiled it doesn't even flicker in my task manager when run. An idea of where to start, or a way to diagnose the issue myself would be appreciated.

Or as an intermediate assist, the uncompiled backup I have is three days older than the last version I have. Stupidly, I didn't check the "Allow Decompilation" box when I compiled it. If there's a way around that, it would at the very least save me three days worth of changes.

There haven't been any significant changes to my script that I know of since the last version, but it has been six days since my last compile that still works, and nine days since my last backup of the script, and I don't look forward to trying to remember every change that was made and recompile it at each step along the way to identify the issue.

I understand that it is difficult to help without code, but there must be a list of certain things that contribute to such a situation. The script runs perfectly in SciTE, but when compiled it doesn't even flicker in my task manager when run. An idea of where to start, or a way to diagnose the issue myself would be appreciated.

Or as an intermediate assist, the uncompiled backup I have is three days older than the last version I have. Stupidly, I didn't check the "Allow Decompilation" box when I compiled it. If there's a way around that, it would at the very least save me three days worth of changes.

yes, I'm sure there is a list. a very very long list..............

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

if you don't give us code, we cannot help you. period.

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond, that response does not help.

Even if I gave you the full code, you would run it in SciTE and when you tried to compile it, it would fail. If you know what would cause it to act in such a way, then you'd know what to tell me to look for. If you didn't know what would cause it to act this way, then you couldn't help me anyhow. In either case, the code would be irrelevant.

I'm not concerned with theft of code, far from it. I've gotten a great deal of assistance from these forums. It is more a workplace security issue. If I could show code that would assist in the diagnosis, I would. Anything to relieve the incredible frustration that I'm experiencing at this moment.

yes, I'm sure there is a list. a very very long list..............

Seriously? This is the twentieth revision of this same code, and I've never experienced this issue with it or any of the other compiled scripts I've done previously. If there's a list in the bug forums, I haven't found it.

Now would be an excellent time for someone to find a link to it that I haven't been able to locate, and point out the search button at the top of the page while making a snide remark about my inability to use it. Though I swear to god I've looked, I would welcome the insults if it addresses the issue.

no, there is no posted list. no, we cannot tell you what to look for. there are so many things that could cause this to happen. If we were to look at the code, and be able to test it, we could help.

I am sorry that my posts have been useless, but you will not get a better answer from anyone else. :P

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

I wish I could help but the only thing I can suggest is I had a similiar problem when I copied a function that had the same name as a variable. It ran in scite but failed in encodeit. I changed the name of the function and wala. Good luck.

Thank you 1905russell. That at least gives me something constructive to start with.

• Developers

Thank you 1905russell. That at least gives me something constructive to start with.

This is only valid when you use Encodit...

Maybe its me but I haven't found any description of the problem you are having other than that it doesn't work.

Could you atleast describe what is going wrong or like Larry suggested post a portion of the codee that simulates your problem ?

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

theguy0000

Nothing personal, but obviously I don't know as much about AutoIT as a lot of people in this forum. I've accepted that fact. That is why I asked for assistance in the first place. I've stated why I cannot post the code, and if it were a short script that I could simply hack out all the work related references so that I could show you, I'd have done that by now. Believe me when I say that I am not intentionally trying to make this difficult, and I do appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.

That being said, let's go back to your post.

there are so many things that could cause this to happen.

If there are that many, then perhaps you could name one.

This is only valid when you use Encodit...

Maybe its me but I haven't found any description of the problem you are having other than that it doesn't work.

Could you atleast describe what is going wrong or like Larry suggested post a portion of the codee that simulates your problem ?

JdeB, That's unfortunate, but no I was using SciTE so I guess that won't help. Without any idea of where exactly the problem lies, I'm going to work forwards from my old code to my new and see if I can track down the section that causes the issue. At that point I'll try to replicate the problem in a self contained section of code that I can post. Unfortunately at this moment, I'm not sure which portion of my code is the culprit, which is why I'm looking for suggestions to problems that may have caused this issue for people in the past. Thanks for the update.

• Developers

JdeB, That's unfortunate, but no I was using SciTE so I guess that won't help. Without any idea of where exactly the problem lies, I'm going to work forwards from my old code to my new and see if I can track down the section that causes the issue. At that point I'll try to replicate the problem in a self contained section of code that I can post. Unfortunately at this moment, I'm not sure which portion of my code is the culprit, which is why I'm looking for suggestions to problems that may have caused this issue for people in the past. Thanks for the update.

You still haven't answered the question... What is your symptom?

Script is hanging ? (Did you add the Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) to see were it hangs ?)

Script stops ?

anything else ?

:P

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

theguy0000

Nothing personal, but obviously I don't know as much about AutoIT as a lot of people in this forum. I've accepted that fact. That is why I asked for assistance in the first place. I've stated why I cannot post the code, and if it were a short script that I could simply hack out all the work related references so that I could show you, I'd have done that by now. Believe me when I say that I am not intentionally trying to make this difficult, and I do appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.

That being said, let's go back to your post.

If there are that many, then perhaps you could name one.

I understand that, but you are expecting us to read your mind.

You can surely at least provide SOME info? at all? all you have said is you made a script, and it works in Site, but not compiled.

As unfortunate/surprising as this fact is, we are not mind-readers.

I would say more but I would just end up repeating what Jdeb said anyway.

You still haven't answered the question... What is your symptom?

Script is hanging ? (Did you add the Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) to see were it hangs ?)

Script stops ?

anything else ?

:P

Whoops, sorry I missed that part.

The script effectively doesn't run when compiled. I added the Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) line you suggested (Thanks for that, btw. That will come in handy later), recompiled it then ran the executable. The icon doesn't even pop up in my tray. As far as I can tell, the script doesn't execute at all. If not for a momentary busy pointer, there would be no indication that anything had happened at all.

Other than that, the syntax check in SciTE turns up no errors, though obviously since SciTE runs the script properly, I didn't expect that to turn anything up.

Thanks for the assistance.

Edited by Lord Maim

yeah sum 1 stole the crystal ball *glares at gafrost* so we are unable to help anyone that doesn't provide info sorry.

Right now the script tops 3300 lines, without factoring in the includes. I can only assume that the problem lies within my code, as the 19th revision was compiled and executes properly, and the includes have not been modified since the last revision.

I had assumed that this was a known issue, not knowing that the problem was as rampant as it apparently is. So no, I wasn't expecting anyone to read my mind. Perhaps only overestimated the simplicity of the problem.

#includes can be a problem if you use "" instead of <> and vice versa. Examine your includes for how their paths are defined.

Lar.

edit: hmmm, but that wouldn't behave as you stated. I think your compiler is defunct... Do you Right-Click compile? Try compiling different ways.

Lar.

Yes I do use the right click compile. I tried using the aut2exe from the shortcut in the AutoIT folder, and that didn't make any difference, other than not give me an option for compression. Noob that I am, I don't know of any other compliation methods. What others could I try that might help?

However, I don't think its a sudden computer issue. I just tried compiling some previous versions of the script into executables and they run properly. My includes are done in the proper format as far as I know, (#include <GUIConstants.au3> for example) and haven't changed since previous working versions of the script.

Thanks for the ideas Larry. I'll keep trying.