Cold shutdown?

erifash

I remember seeing some assembly code that would initiate a cold shutdown (the computer turns off almost instantly) and I was wondering if there was some way to do that? Too bad I can't seem to find it. If there is some way to do that in AutoIt that would be great!

I remember seeing some assembly code that would initiate a cold shutdown (the computer turns off almost instantly) and I was wondering if there was some way to do that? Too bad I can't seem to find it. If there is some way to do that in AutoIt that would be great!

I've never seen anything that would pull the plug on a computer. Sounds dangerous. :P You can use the ExitWindowsEx API call to do normal shutdowns (Force, LogOff, PowerOff, Reboot and Shutdown). Edited by PaulIA
Auto3Lib: A library of over 1200 functions for AutoIt

Ah-ha! I just remembered that my friend had once shown me a one-line qbasic script that would do a cold shutdown. That was at least a year ago though, he might not have it... I'll ask him. Thanks!

Edited by erifash

Ah-ha! I just remembered that my friend had once shown me a one-line qbasic script that would do a cold shutdown. That was at least a year ago though, he might not have it... I'll ask him. Thanks!

if he still has it...post it here! I've wanted this for awhile, incase the chassis internal temperature gets too high.

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

Well, you could open regedit and create the following DWORD key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

if it's not there create a DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotes) and set

the value to "1" and then make a script to send the keys and the comp will restart immediately, but i'm not sure how good that is for your comp... restart for changes to take effect...

the key combo is to HOLD CTRL and PRESS SCROLL LOCK TWICE QUICKLY...

not even positive it can be used through a script tho...have fun : )

Well, you could open regedit and create the following DWORD key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

if it's not there create a DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotes) and set

the value to "1" and then make a script to send the keys and the comp will restart immediately, but i'm not sure how good that is for your comp... restart for changes to take effect...

the key combo is to HOLD CTRL and PRESS SCROLL LOCK TWICE QUICKLY...

not even positive it can be used through a script tho...have fun : )

I have actually written a small script to install that on our school computers, it's really fun to prank your friends with it. :)

I have also contacted my friend and he can't find the qbasic code. I might be able to find it on wednesday when I go over to my dad's house as I have the majority of my backup storage over there. After doing a beast :D of a google search I have come up empty handed. I will continue searching but I am afraid only time will tell. :P

EDIT: @Thatsgreat2345: I am unable to try out that program because I am running an AI simulation on breve.

Edited by erifash

Just a thought. Would not this involve comunicating with the powersuply through ACPI or what it is called now? The BIOS interface to control poweroff, suspending and so on. So goole for: BIOS ACPI qbasic and see what you get..:P

@theguy0000: it's down right now...

I have stumbled upon the keywords "cold boot" which I have heard regarding this topic. I am currently researching this but all I have found are old FAQs. :P

Edited by erifash

Acting on a hunch, I have found this website containing some assembly code that could initiate a cold shutdown/boot. Particularly this snippet:

; store magic value at 0040h:0072h to reboot:
;       0000h - cold boot.
;       1234h - warm boot.
    MOV  AX,0040h
    MOV  DS,AX
    MOV  word[0072h],0000h ; cold boot.
    JMP  0FFFFh:0000h; reboot!

This renders a 16 byte executable that is detected by McAfee as a "Potentially Unwanted Program." I don't know if it works in Windows XP but it did in it's time (MS-DOS). Being unable (read: wary) to test this I leave it to you guys for now. :P

Yes it does matter :P

Within processor groups, each assembler has its own dialect. Sometimes, some assemblers can read another assembler's dialect, for example, TASM can read old MASM code, but not the reverse. FASM and NASM have similar syntax, but each support different macros that could make them difficult to translate to each other. The basics are all the same, but the advanced features will differ.

Edited by Thatsgreat2345