Public Key Cryptography

Does anyone know how I could use the encryption function in autoit as a public key encryption tool? I'm actually still a bit confused as to how it works.... I was trying to have the lockbox setup (you send something with a padlock, the recipiant puts on a padlock, you take off your padlock with your key, and the final recipiant takes off their padlock with their key....) well that didn't work. I'm not quite sure how this stuff works to begin with.

Edit:

The setup is like this:

In an asymmetric key system, Bob and Alice have separate padlocks. First, Alice asks Bob to send his open padlock to her through regular mail, keeping his key to himself. When Alice receives it she uses it to lock a box containing her message, and sends the locked box to Bob. Bob can then unlock the box with his key and read the message from Alice. To reply, Bob must similarly get Alice's open padlock to lock the box before sending it back to her. (from wikipedia)

Edited by DarthVega

Does anyone know how I could use the encryption function in autoit as a public key encryption tool? I'm actually still a bit confused as to how it works.... I was

what encryption functions are you referring to?

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

what encryption functions are you referring to?

Cheers

Kurt

ahhhhh..... scratch that...

I'm trying to figure out a way in which I can make a program in autoit that will only run on one specified computer... maybe by checking the serial number of the hdd or something.

I don't want just a password because the password can be shared.

I was thinking that I could use RSA or something like that. Could someone help me out?

Again, I don't know how it works.

ahhhhh..... scratch that...

I'm trying to figure out a way in which I can make a program in autoit that will only run on one specified computer... maybe by checking the serial number of the hdd or something.

I don't want just a password because the password can be shared.

I was thinking that I could use RSA or something like that. Could someone help me out?

Again, I don't know how it works.

there've been a few threads about ways to prevent a program from running on unauthorized machines, you're not going to find a guaranteed way to make sure that it will only run on the machine you want it to, software companies have been trying to for years, and the best they can do is make software that requires activation or communicates information about the computer with a verifying server, and we all know that's not even 100% successful. You may get some idea from the threads already on the forum for this topic, but you'll not find a protection scheme that will always work, or be impossible to crack.

there've been a few threads about ways to prevent a program from running on unauthorized machines, you're not going to find a guaranteed way to make sure that it will only run on the machine you want it to, software companies have been trying to for years, and the best they can do is make software that requires activation or communicates information about the computer with a verifying server, and we all know that's not even 100% successful. You may get some idea from the threads already on the forum for this topic, but you'll not find a protection scheme that will always work, or be impossible to crack.

Ok, ok, I get it. Nothing is unhackable...

But these guys are not hackers and I don't expect this code to fall into a hacker's hands. Even if it does, I doubt they will find much interest in it.

I just want one thing: to prevent the average Joe from simply burning this program onto a cd .... sending it to his pal Steve and telling him ... "the password is abc123" ....

There has to be a way to implement this simple security solution. I want something stronger than a password. I thought I could get that through encryption or something combined with encryption.

Ok, ok, I get it. Nothing is unhackable...

But these guys are not hackers and I don't expect this code to fall into a hacker's hands. Even if it does, I doubt they will find much interest in it.

I just want one thing: to prevent the average Joe from simply burning this program onto a cd .... sending it to his pal Steve and telling him ... "the password is abc123" ....

There has to be a way to implement this simple security solution. I want something stronger than a password. I thought I could get that through encryption or something combined with encryption.

forget about a "simple" solution with public key encryption! Search the forum and use something like the several serial numbers of a PC to restrict the execution of your tool, or even better, don't restrict it at all!

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

forget about a "simple" solution with public key encryption! Search the forum and use something like the several serial numbers of a PC to restrict the execution of your tool, or even better, don't restrict it at all!

Cheers

Kurt

Thanks, I found what I needed here.