FileInstall very slow (disable compression?)

I've written an AutoIt script that extracts 500 MB of install source files to a temporary directory and then runs the installer with some custom settings. Execution works great except that the file extraction (a series of about 250 FileInstalls of mixed binary and text files) can take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes, depending on the speed of the machine.

My first thought is that the decompression is causing this slowness. Is there a way to disable compression in FileInstall?

If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for a workaround? I've thought above just making an SFX of the install source, but that would essentially double the footprint of the install source.

Thanks for the help!

john

• Developers

.... Is there a way to disable compression in FileInstall?

There is an option to change the compression in AUT2EXE when running in manually, or a Compiler directive when using SciTE4AutoIt3..

:P

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

There is an option to change the compression in AUT2EXE when running in manually, or a Compiler directive when using SciTE4AutoIt3..

:)

Thanks for the tip. However when I checked the page for info regarding Aut2Exe (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/compiler.htm), I read this:

7.  The only other option you might wish to change is the compression level (especially if using FileInstall to add extra files).  Use the Compression  menu to set this.  As with all compression routines the better the compression you select the slower it will be.  However, no matter what compression level you select the decompression speed (when the .exe is run) is the same.

:D Anyone have any other ideas how to speed up the slow extraction?

thanks,

john