need some general direction

I have almost no experience writing script and have been trying to get an understanding of DOM and script like this:

CODE
For $oTable in $oTables

If String($oTable.className) = "searchresults" Then

For $oTD in $oTDs

If String($oTD.className) = "searchitem" Then

$oSpans = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTD, "span")

For $oSpan in $oSpans

I understand that it works, and I even understand generally what the code is making the program do. I've been mostly cobling together bits of script and using a lot of trial and error to figure things out. If someone can point me in the direction of tutorials or anything else that would be more illuminating, I would appreciate it. I have the IE DOM explorer bar. I'd really like to find something which explains exactly how I should go about identifying DOMs and then how to put these into the code.

I'm not even sure exactly what I'm looking for other than a general source to learn more about these things.

Thanks for your help.

dan

This is why I mentioned in the post that spawned the example you pulled the code from above that you were trying something very ambitious for your first week with AtuoIt.

If you are wanting to delve into IE control, I'd suggest that you start working through the examples for IE.au3 in the helpfile (they are all self-contained and demonstrate the function rather than just showing you an example of the syntax). I'd also recommend that you read through the Obj/COM section of the helpfile for more information.

You'll actually find lots of examples of people asking questions and showing examples of real-life uses of IE.au3 in these forums. Beyond that, there are many examples of COM programming with VBScript that you can find with Google - while VBScript syntax is not identical to AutoIt, it is very similar.

You can also investigate the links in my sig for more help. The MSDN docs take some work to understand, but make a good reference once you do.

You can also start working on a specific project, try some code and bring it back to this forum when you have troubles and ask for some specific help (along with your code) and you are quite likely to get all you need.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble