Voice chat dll - Any interest?

Philip Bennefall

I certainly did`nt realize that that Autoit was open source anymore, (not that I know anything about C++ or whatever), but, as you say, as long Autoit is free..

:)

I also like the idea of a "cut down" version of Philips project..

Good explaination! Thanks! :D

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

I certainly did`nt realize that that Autoit was open source anymore, (not that I know anything about C++ or whatever), but, as you say, as long Autoit is free..

:)

I also like the idea of a "cut down" version of Philips project..

Good explaination! Thanks! :D

No problem. I am glad I explained it well.

I know it is hard as a programmer to have a community not accept your project because it isn't how they would themselves do it. That was my whole reason for posting. I am glad you got something out of it.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Thanks Js, much better than I could have explained it myself, and it probably cleared it up for some folks as well. I'll probably start a new thread once the first beta is released. Right now all you can do is set the host API, Direct sound or Windows multimedia, and enumerate the input and output devices for the current host API. I tested the dll with those functions in AutoIt, works like a charm. No problems there, although it took me a while to realise that AutoIt can't accept a C++ string as a return type, it needs a good old c_str or it crashes with a fatal error.

Oh and for anyone who wonders, I am using C++ as the development language, and AutoIt to try each new function out in dll form.

I like the idea with the cut down version, but what I think I will do is to let everyone try the full set of ffeatures, but with a nag screen popping up at random whenever a function is called so that it can be used fine for testing, but not for distribution. I would make the message box run in a separate thread though, so that it doesn't stop the actual function that you're calling, just annoys you slightly until you decide to register. It would appear at random, not in every function call. How do you guys like that idea?

Regards

Philip Bennefall

Hi Philip

I'm using PicoPhone for voice chat.

It's freeware and very compact application.

Maybe you can get some ideas from it.

About your licensing:

I like idea from JS more than yours.

Good luck with your project.

EDIT:

Q: Any interest?

A: My interest fall down after I heard it not to be freeware :) that's a pity

Edited by Zedna

Point taken. I might go for the first option then, to allow people to use the cut down version freely in non commercial applications, if they want to sell it they'll have to get the license. No message boxes, just cut down features. Sounds better?

As for it being completely free, if I could afford to, I probably would make it freeware although not open source.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

Point taken. I might go for the first option then, to allow people to use the cut down version freely in non commercial applications, if they want to sell it they'll have to get the license. No message boxes, just cut down features. Sounds better?

As for it being completely free, if I could afford to, I probably would make it freeware although not open source.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

Sounds much better :)

EDIT: Thanks

Edited by Zedna

Happy to see all is well, and you like my idea for the licensing.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

what about making it free for the beta/buggy versions and once it is stable enough you can make the liscence like above (which what i was initially suggesting) and sell the commercial version, with a dumbed down version for free, just keep the betas free for early/public testers with all the new features.. how does that sound?

this is what some security vendor does, i forget which but they seems to keep users, and their business happy.

Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

Sure, I could do that too, but in the beta versions I would put a message box letting everyone know that it is a beta, and at the same time preventing people from using the beta release commercially. Everything will be available for unlimited use, just with the beta message box.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

• 1 month later...

Mmm.. voice chat DLL would be awesome.. open up a whole new door. :whistle:

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

Hi Philip !

I'm very interested in your voice chat DLL.

You may take a look at libjingle, the p2p aproach from Google team.

Bye the way, some p2p functions would be great for AutoIt.

I'm thinking about Waste or libjingle.

Some DLL + UDF would be soooooooooooo useful !

Apzo.

Links :

http://code.google.com/apis/talk/libjingle/index.html

http://waste.sourceforge.net/

This does indeed seem very interesting...

And the licensing decisions were wise, and would make me and probably other clients happy.

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

A few people have been asking me how the voice chat project is going and why there haven't been any updates yet. Simply because I haven't had enough time to finish it all up yet, I have a really good base right now but a lot of things still need to be added. I'll make a new topic once I have a beta version ready.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

• 4 weeks later...

Speex will be used in the dll by default. It is not an audio streaming library, just a codec. Speex alone won't allow you to make a voicechat, you need a buffer streaming method behind it as well. I'm not just going to sell it to the AutoIt community, I will have a demo up on my site and anyone who is interested can order it. I can't release it for free, because it involves a lot of work and I'd like to get something back for it after all. But if you look at the prices of the other libraries, over 300 bucks for a developer license, 59.95 isn't so bad I wouldn't say. I am going to use Port audio, Speex, and winsock to form the component. It will be one single dll that does everything.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

So ... did you do it or are you working on it? You should have a method for a limited demo if you plan to charge for your work.

Edited by SuperChief

• 3 months later...

Yeah, there's been no updates for a while..

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

Well I looked at his most recent post.. which was in April and he was asking about a DLL problem, he mentioned it in the same topic that it was for the voice chat dll. So it definitely is in development.