Can an AutoIt script be released GPL?

Kind of new to this whole GPL thing, but one of my scripts requires 7-Zip to work. 7-Zip says that their program may included in other GPL licensed programs, but not in any sort of commercial application. From reading the GNU website, I understand that for a program to fit in that license then you _must_ provide source-code. So what I'm wondering is this:

If I include my AutoIt script, can it be licensed GPL? Or would the actual source-code of AutoIt (which will never be released) be required?

Thanks

Kind of new to this whole GPL thing, but one of my scripts requires 7-Zip to work. 7-Zip says that their program may included in other GPL licensed programs, but not in any sort of commercial application. From reading the GNU website, I understand that for a program to fit in that license then you _must_ provide source-code. So what I'm wondering is this:

If I include my AutoIt script, can it be licensed GPL? Or would the actual source-code of AutoIt (which will never be released) be required?

Thanks

7-Zip is LGPL. If you put your AU3 source code under the same license, then you can use 7-ZIP. It is not necessary to have AutoIT under LGPL. Compare it with a C/C++ compiler. You can write LGPL programs, even if you usually compile them with the Microsoft C/C++ compiler (which is obviously NOT LGPL, at least not yet).

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

If a program is licensed under the LGPL (Lesser/Library General Public License), this means that another program can use its services without being licensed under the LGPL or GPL. The LGPL is typically only useful for libraries (e.g. DLLs).

Since 7-Zip is licensed under the LGPL, it means that you can write a program that uses it without having to release the source code to it. If it were licensed under the GPL, you would then need to license your program under the GPL and make its source code freely available.

I would suggest that you license your script under the GPL rather than the LGPL.