Help with DDE

Hello,

i'm having trouble with DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange)

i've read on the AutoIt Help thing about COM and using ObjCreate.. but i still don't get it!

well, i want to, just like autoit that it would run a certain program when opening a file.

i know how that works (open a map -> goto Folder Options -> Tab File Types -> add new one etc.)

but if i want the fileNAME of the file that i want to check... how do i do that?

like:

<right-click on a file> --> <run> --> <scan the selected file using fileNAME?> --> <done>

get it :)?

well please reply quikly or reply anything...

thanks

- me

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the following should work:

1. Open the registry with regedit.

2. Find your extension as '.ext' in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3

3. Note the default parameter value of this key i.e. AutoIt3Script

4. Find the key named with the value noted above in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script

5. The shell key gives the default application. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell = "Run"

Once you know where to look, you can use the registry read functions.

There may also be a UDF to do this on the forums. If not, as this is Windows functionality, not AutoIt's, search the internet, not just this forum.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the following should work:

1. Open the registry with regedit.

2. Find your extension as '.ext' in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3

3. Note the default parameter value of this key i.e. AutoIt3Script

4. Find the key named with the value noted above in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script

5. The shell key gives the default application. i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell = "Run"

Once you know where to look, you can use the registry read functions.

There may also be a UDF to do this on the forums. If not, as this is Windows functionality, not AutoIt's, search the internet, not just this forum.

damn... i don't get it... :)

i have done everything what you said, but how can i get the filename of the targeted running file and give it to my autoit program?

Edited by Immense

... Nobody that knows..?? i thought u guys were smart :)

A few of the guys are, most of us are just hardworking dedicated ant's..:D

i'm having trouble with DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange)

Your topic title probably did put people off. DDE is a freeking Norwegian pop band. Most of the people here have newer heard about them. I bet... Oh, Dynamic Data Exchange.... Thats probably not a pop band after all...

i've read on the AutoIt Help thing about COM and using ObjCreate.. but i still don't get it!

well, i want to, just like autoit that it would run a certain program when opening a file.

i know how that works (open a map -> goto Folder Options -> Tab File Types -> add new one etc.)

but if i want the fileNAME of the file that i want to check... how do i do that?

like:

<right-click on a file> --> <run> --> <scan the selected file using fileNAME?> --> <done>

get it :D?

well please reply quikly or reply anything...

thanks

- me

If fileNAME in this case is your autoit prog then the stuff posted by @stumpii should work. Or you could take a look at this

And at last does you script check $CmdLine[] array?

Now the big question why do you want DDE?

A few of the guys are, most of us are just hardworking dedicated ant's..:)

Your topic title probably did put people off. DDE is a freeking Norwegian pop band. Most of the people here have newer heard about them. I bet... Oh, Dynamic Data Exchange.... Thats probably not a pop band after all...

If fileNAME in this case is your autoit prog then the stuff posted by @stumpii should work. Or you could take a look at this

And at last does you script check $CmdLine[] array?

Now the big question why do you want DDE?

hmmm im now looking at the code you gave me,

but i want the DDE (not neccessary actually) to give the filename..

you can use DDE to make an object and there's some command that gives you the filename.. but i dont know which or maybe it DOESNT exists...

well, you can refind the DDE it @:

[open: My Computer] --> [Menu: Tools] --> [Folder Options] --> [Tab: File Types]

When you do this, you can create extra file TYPES. So i had created a new file TYPE named [.prg]

@Advanced, you can add new events, i've added an event and want to use a certain program.

my event was called [Run Script] with my self-made autoit program.

If u cross the [use DDE], u can use the DDE thing to give certain information about the file, but how do i get it!!!?

i can't be more exact, but i'm checking the script you gave me.. maybe it will help i'll see

- me

• 9 months later...

I've just finished a generic UDF library for Windows DDE (client and server).

Here: DDEML.

Edited by doudou

UDFS & Apps:

Spoiler

DDEML.au3 - DDE Client + Server
Localization.au3 - localize your scripts
TLI.au3 - type information on COM objects (TLBINF emulation)
TLBAutoEnum.au3 - auto-import of COM constants (enums)
AU3Automation - export AU3 scripts via COM interfaces
TypeLibInspector - OleView was yesterday

Coder's last words before final release: WE APOLOGIZE FOR INCONVENIENCE 

@Immense

At my opinion your are not looking for DDE ?!

DDE is like loulou has stated in his script meant for data exchange. Meaning that when you drag a file to an Application it would open up that applocation and run the file. This is only 1 example DDE is of course more complex than that.

What kind of information are you looking for I can't see that in you post actually.

This will return the current association type linked to your ".prg"

File Associations

regards

ptrex

Edited by ptrex