Terminal Services

Folks,

Posted and discussed window load completion issues over the past several weeks - what a great bunch of folks.

Now have a new problem I'm hoping someone can help out with.

Using either .au3 or .exe either installed via w2k or just copied and run from a directory, have yet to be able to get the auto-it loop to continue to run after I disconnect Terminal Services...

It looks like it looses focus of the active window, however I've attempted just about every winactive, winwait, winwaitactive, etc., command to regain focus, so something tells me it just hangs until the Terminal Services Client is re-connected with the Terminal Services Server...

Anyone have a clue - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I did not test this out with Terminal Services, so I don´t have a direct solution for your problem. (If I get a little time, I may try out AU3 with terminal services tommorow...). I even don´t know what you want to do.

Perhaps it is only something like i had last week. I had to run a au3 script last week but I could not do it on my own comp, cause it blooked my comp. So I ran it on another comp with VNC Server. With VNC Server there were no problems, Script was running even if I disconnected. So, if you only want to run your script on another comp and want somtimes see what it is doing and that was the reason you used terminal services, VNC may be an option. If you only have one server and need Terminal Sessions so that you use it to have more "virtually comps", on this sever, not affecting the "root console", then it will be not a solution.

commenti

given what I know of terminal services this makes sense, since when you connect with terminal services it creates a indipendent desktop environment for each user that connects... I have some apps that forbid even having TS running on the server they're installed on... My guess is if you ran the script as a service, with the desktop interaction enabled, it'd work...

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

Hi,

I did not test this out with Terminal Services, so I don´t have a direct solution for your problem. (If I get a little time, I may try out AU3 with terminal services tommorow...). I even don´t know what you want to do.

Perhaps it is only something like i had last week. I had to run a au3 script last week but I could not do it on my own comp, cause it blooked my comp. So I ran it on another comp with VNC Server. With VNC Server there were no problems, Script was running even if I disconnected. So, if you only want to run your script on another comp and want somtimes see what it is doing and that was the reason you used terminal services, VNC may be an option. If you only have one server and need Terminal Sessions so that you use it to have more "virtually comps", on this sever, not affecting the "root console", then it will be not a solution.

commenti

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First - thanks for taking the time to reply, your assumption is correct, I'll look into VNC Server - however I've got 2 "virtually comps" to run on the same server. I'll check into it and feedback.

Again - Thanks!

given what I know of terminal services this makes sense, since when you connect with terminal services it creates a indipendent desktop environment for each user that connects...  I have some apps that forbid even having TS running on the server they're installed on...  My guess is if you ran the script as a service, with the desktop interaction enabled, it'd work...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

emmanuel - Thanks for your comments. Had looked into "desktop interaction enabled", but was not sure if I should change autoit in services, the au3 or the exe. In addition,. was not sure how to add any of the three as a service, but because I was running an au3 with autoit installed, I could have enabled "desktop interaction enabled" for it, but wanted to check with the sys admin first :(

Thanks for your input, I'll do some digging, any hints would be greatly appreciated :ph34r:

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Folks,

Posted and discussed window load completion issues over the past several weeks - what a great bunch of folks.

Now have a new problem I'm hoping someone can help out with.

Using either .au3 or .exe either installed via w2k or just copied and run from a directory, have yet to be able to get the auto-it loop to continue to run after I disconnect Terminal Services...

It looks like it looses focus of the active window, however I've attempted just about every winactive, winwait, winwaitactive, etc., command to regain focus, so something tells me it just hangs until the Terminal Services Client is re-connected with the Terminal Services Server...

Anyone have a clue - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Had the same problems. VNC is one solution though for some reasons we encountered problems with tight security on our network wich made it impossible to use VNC. The solution (quite simple) is to auto logon on to the terminal server so the user session is active and stays active while running the scheduled autoit .exe file and auto log off when finished. All with the same scheduler (events scheduler).

• 3 years later...

Had the same problems. VNC is one solution though for some reasons we encountered problems with tight security on our network wich made it impossible to use VNC. The solution (quite simple) is to auto logon on to the terminal server so the user session is active and stays active while running the scheduled autoit .exe file and auto log off when finished. All with the same scheduler (events scheduler).

I am having a similar problem, but I can't use any of the workarounds described thus far.

I am not sure what you used to "auto logon on to the terminal server"

Has anyone tried automating a logon?

Something like the following program:

http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/51.htm

Edited by Sapient

• 7 months later...

The original problem comes from the workstation lock happening when disconnecting from terminal services.

When a workstation is locked, some functions used by Autoit don't work (windows activation...)

When using VNC, this is not a problem because one stays in the *same* session.

I don't know of any terminal server option to change this behaviour.

However there is a workaround: it is possible to use the 'tscon' utility.

For example, under Windows 2003 with a session started in console, using

tscon 0 /dest:console

will disconnect the current terminal server session and redirect it to the console (the physical one)

Autoit will then continue to work correctly.

Warning: the tscon command syntax appears to change slightly from a Windows version to another, so your mileage can vary.