RUN, maximum length of command?

Hi,

i call a program with parameters via RUN(). The number of parameters is variable. At a certain point, the RUN command just stalls...

e.g. "test.exe param1 param2 param3 param4" works, but if i add up to 50 parameters and the command line is getting really long, the RUN command does not work. Is there a maxium length? And maybe any way around it?

Thanks and Regards

This post will be edited again by Polyphem: Tomorrow, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. Thought about that allready, all quoted. It only has to do with the length? Is there a 256 character limit? The parameters are in a variable. Currently i write the command to a temp .bat and start that. But thats only an imperfect work-around.

This post will be edited again by Polyphem: Tomorrow, 11:55 AM

• Moderators

I'm not aware of a limit myself, and I couldn't find it in the docs either.

If this is an AutoIt App, have you looked at possibly $CmdLineRaw? And maybe just parsing from the other app?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Currently i write the command to a temp .bat and start that. But thats only an imperfect work-around.

If the same command runs from a batch file it will run from autoit too.

I will use ConsoleWrite() to double chech the run() syntax.

Ex:

ConsoleWrite('test.exe param1 param2 param3 param4 "param 5" "param 6"' & @CRLF)
Run('test.exe param1 param2 param3 param4 "param 5" "param 6"', @TempDir)
AutoIt Scripts:NetPrinter - Network Printer UtilityRobocopyGUI - GUI interface for M$ robocopy command line

There used to be a limit on the char length of all parameters together. So if StringLen($params) > 512|1024|4048 or what it is today you could possibly be in trouble. Not sure if this applies to XP (or Vista)