Ipod Music Transfer

_Kurt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a prog like this before, though much simpler , because i had a corrupted song that was hanging up another program that was using. Only problems i had was the ipod getting VERY hot and on occasion it would freeze and you would have to hot pull the ipod and wait for it to respond again (2-3 min max). then i would usually wait for it to cool down, dont know if that was the problem. i was using a G3 ipod, and to all G3 ipod users if you are going to file transfer your library do it on FIREWIRE since usb wont charge while its plugged in you will lose you batt in 15-20 min flat.

EDIT:Several spelling errors

Edited by smstroble

MUHAHAHAHAHA

sick :|

I don't believe this script is feeling ill.

I cade a prog like this before, though much simpler (i will attach), because i had a corrupted sond that was hanging up another program that was using. Olny problems i had was the ipod getting VERY hot and on occasion it would freeze and you would have to hot pull the ipod and wait for it to respond again (2-3 min max). then i would usually wait for it to cool down, dont know if that was the problem. i was using a G3 ipod, and to all G3 ipod users if you are going to file transfer your library do it on FIREWIRE since usb wont charge while its plugged in you will lose you batt in 15-20 min flat.

Yes, script is much simpler, but from what I see, it still provides the same service. Is the problem you were having caused from my script? Or yours? And do you think this occurs to everyone?

Awaiting Diablo III..

Well, i haven't tried yours, i can probably test it tomorrow, but chances are its just the way the ipod works, they are designed so small and compact they have no room to vent heat, and when they are attached to the computer in disk mode the hard drive spins constantly which draws tons of power from the batt and makes a lot of heat, other than having to pull my ipod a couple times i got all the music off and it all works great, so overall it seems to be a fairly minor problem.

Also i have though about putting in some cool down time in the script but since the drive spins perpetually while in disk mode it wont do any good. This type of prog would be excellent for an ipod shuffle i think, because all the memory is flash so no hard drive heat, i would be interested if someone with a multigig shuffle tried it out.

Edited by smstroble

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Has anyone tested this out? Because it should work, my MP3 player works with it, but I'd like to know for sure if Ipod's work. My friend is coming back in 2 days, and I'm too anxious to wait that long.

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

hi

i run the program now and it copies files from my ipod , nicely..

as i understand you take all song information from ID3 tags / WMA tags and write it back to files on HD?

this could be a problem when there are no tags to set inside the file

have you tried to decipher the "itunesdb" file instead which should hold all original information?

nobbe

i run the program now and it copies files from my ipod , nicely..

Great!

as i understand you take all song information from ID3 tags / WMA tags and write it back to files on HD?

After I've copied all the files from the Ipod to the directory, I retrieve the Artist and Song Tags, I proceed by making sure that every file contains the proper name by the pattern "Artist - Song". If a file does not follow that pattern, it renames it to it's appropriate name.

this could be a problem when there are no tags to set inside the file

That's true, but most songs on the Ipod contain the proper Artist/Song names. That's how the Ipod displays it under the category Artist. However, if it does not contain the tags, it could be a problem.

have you tried to decipher the "itunesdb" file instead which should hold all original information?

Nope, I have no clue what it is.

Glad it works :)

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

hi

i still copy files from ipod to Hd, it does get very warm from my ipod-HD - it could be a good idea to give it a rest after 500 files or so .

imagine a 80 GB ipod holding 20.000 files, you cannot transfer them all in one go..

the itunesDB holds all information about the ipod files ( filenames, tags, real names ,etc..) is stored on the ipod in directory \ipod_control\itunes, i believe its 16 bit char code.

nobbe

hi

i tried to transfer songs from my ipod

bug : script somewhere died with an error, BUT i think it is the fault of the wmplayer.ocx , because i experience the same with my other program , thats why i used another interface to "mediainfo.dll" which i found to be slower but more reliable - see my scripts for sample..

so for next release it would be a nice idea to transfer files one by one, maybe also put them into folders for albums / groups and also have a little pause after a certain amount of files to save my ipod hd and battery..

if you like we could work together ..

BTW : ipods will not store any WMA files, only itunes will import them (ipod cannot natively play WMA)

nobbe

Edited by nobbe

Yeah I should probably give a rest after a certain amount of songs, or a small rest per song. Work together? Sure, because you know these Ipod's better than I do :). Perhaps we should change the wmplayer.ocx obj, but we'd need something of the same quality.

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

/waveshand

i still copy files from ipod to Hd, it does get very warm from my ipod-HD - it could be a good idea to give it a rest after 500 files or so .

As stated in my earlier post, even if you do give it a rest the hard dive still spins and it still continues to heat up just as fast, only way to cool it off is use safely remove hardware to sever the connection between the ipod and the PC, then you have to pull it off and plug it back in. So feasibly the only way to put in a cool down phase is to put in a stop every 500 or so song and then figure out how to cut the connection to the ipod or prompt the user to do it their self, then after a certain amount of time prompt them to pull their ipod off wait for it to show the menu, not the check that says "OK to disconnect", then reconnect it.

EDIT: Script seems to work fine for me, other then it gets hot of course, a few suggestions

A: let the user specify the folder structure and naming scheme of the target, eg D:\ipod\Artist - Album\Track# - Songname - Artist.mp3 or any other combination

B: a filter for which files to transfer, for example if i only want to copy my zeromancer music then i can choose that, shoulden't be to hard just run the conditions against the tags

C: Pause button, finishes current song and pauses until user resumes, could be used for a cool down period as described above until a better solution can be found

Note: i think, not shure, but i think that the file get properties method used in my script is faster than loading the file into Windows Media Player, at least thats what i figure WM_obj is...

P.S. i am also willing to help with this project of you like, and good job so far.

Edited by smstroble

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Your Suggestions:

A: let the user specify the folder structure and naming scheme of the target, eg D:\ipod\Artist - Album\Track# - Songname - Artist.mp3 or any other combination

Not 100% sure what you mean, but I think I kind of understand :whistle:

B: a filter for which files to transfer, for example if i only want to copy my zeromancer music then i can choose that, shoulden't be to hard just run the conditions against the tags

Absolutely! nobbe also gave me that idea and it seems great.

C: Pause button, finishes current song and pauses until user resumes, could be used for a cool down period as described above until a better solution can be found

Sounds good.

P.S. i am also willing to help with this project of you like, and good job so far.

Sure, I'm glad you're interested in this project, nobbe and I are currently working on it, we'll PM you on latest ideas etc. nobbe PM'd me that he found a different way to retrieve extended information on files, but for some odd reason I cannot download the attachment since I believe the website is having trouble. I get navigated to a "Board Message" saying that I do not have the right to download the attachment.

Talk to you soon,

Kurt

Awaiting Diablo III..

Well this sort of worked for me, it copied everything across to my PC without crashing and reported that it had been successful. However, it didn't actually rename anything.

Cheers,

Llamnuds

hi

we are trying a different method of retrieving the id3 tags - could you check on your machine if the original ipod MP3 files are actually with id3 tags , or if the tags are empty?

nob

• 2 weeks later...