HotKeySet needs toning down

Jon

• Administrators

Someone has commented that the hotkeyset function can be used as a decent keylogger... Anyone ideas on how to tone it down to make it useless for this sort of thing while still being useful? AutoIt 2 was accused of being a keylogger many times so I wouldn't want to confirm that!

Options I've thought of:

1. Reduce the max number of hotkeys from 64 to 13 (half the alphabet)

2. Make it illegal to have A to Z as a "single" hotkey (make them require ALT/CTRL etc)

3. Remove all single hotkeys

I think option 2 is the favourite.

It seems a pity to have to compromise a good idea (the excellent functionality of AI3).

Keyloggers used for nefarious ends like to run quietly: to this end, the always-on System Tray icon seems adequate.

Or how about refreshing the System Tray icon with each execution of a HotKey call? In case someone comes up with a naughty utility that can switch off tray icons.

I'm sure none of us wants to see AI3 banned for misuse by a tiny minority; but surely there must be an elegant alternative to throwing the baby out with the bath-water???

• Administrators

The tray icon isn't always on anymore.

I don't see any problem in removing 0-9 a-z as single hot keys - they will mess up the system under most cases anyway. You can still do ctrl+a or clt+alt+a which is what the majority would use anyway.

You can still do ctrl+a or clt+alt+a which is what the majority would use anyway.

That's true .. ok, if we have to lose some functionality, then I'd accept being forced to use key-combinations .. limited only by imagination and physical constraints B) .

Pity about the icon though - lateral solutions are "tres" cool :whistle:

• Administrators

A person could try to build a keylogger first before deciding, because I am skeptical that it is possible.

Already done. But I see what you mean - it would generally just keep calling itself.

• Administrators

Also bear in mind that this would generally be used for password situations where the user just sees ***** so you could log all the standard keys 0-9 a-z and then actually Send a random non-hotkey letter to avoid triggering the hotkey - so the user thinks they are typing their password but they aren't.

God, I've got an evil mind sometimes. :whistle:

Also bear in mind that this would generally be used for password situations where the user just sees ***** so you could log all the standard keys 0-9 a-z and then actually Send a random non-hotkey letter to avoid triggering the hotkey - so the user thinks they are typing their password but they aren't.

God, I've got an evil mind sometimes. :whistle:

Given the amount of times AutoIt is used to write bots for online games, I can see where that last point would be an issue.

• Administrators

Yeah it fails a couple of times and the the script exits and the user just think they mis typed. It's a scam that's been used with ATM machines (fake atm machines in a building somewhere, you enter pin it fails and then eats your card, result is that the thief now has your pin+card).

but the password will always fail... I dunno, but I can't think of a valid reason for anyone to set 0-9, A-Z, so I am in favor of that limit.

:whistle:

That would also work in the malicious author's favor. While the script was running, the user wouldn't even be able to log in to change their password.

• Developers

I would be prefer option 2.

option 1 : is it true that this doesn't really work because you could write a script that will shell multiple scripts of which each do a nummer of unique keys ??

Options 3: I like to use some single keys in a script like pause and esc, so don't like this one...

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Since the sourcecode is so freely available, there isn't anything stopping anyone from re-enabling any hotkey functionality that is provided currently.

[quote]I was busy waiting all night for the Columbus Day Bunny to come down my chimney and light fireworks in my pumpkin.There's so much wrong with that.Oh, I'm sorry, i forgot you were Jewish.[/quote]

• Administrators

Same with anything. But when I get the hatemail and death threats about my trojan software like I did with v2.64 it would be nice to say that it doesn't come like that out of the box.

I like option2. It is a shame that there needs to be any options, but in the case to use one, option2 suits all my needs. I can't see a point where I would need over 13 hotkeys, but it is not hard to imagine.

Is there a way to limit single key hotkeys to 13, and yea leave as many combonations as possible?

Oh and thinking :whistle: for a sec, couldn't they just script {alt down} into it now?

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

FIXED: VK check for A-Z was triggered if vk >= 0x41 *OR* vk <= 0x5A.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// GetSingleVKandMods()
// Get a single VK code and modifiers for a given string - used for getting
// single hotkey/shortcut key definitions
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

bool HS_SendKeys::GetSingleVKandMods(const char *szString, UINT &vk, bool &bShift, bool &bControl, bool &bAlt, bool &bWin)
{
    int  nPos = 0;
    char    ch;
    char    *szTemp;
    bool    bRes = true;      // Success by default
    int  n = 0;

// Reset mods
    bShift = bControl = bAlt = bWin = false;

// Allocate some temporary memory for szTemp
    szTemp =  new char[lstrlen(szString)+1];

while ( szString[nPos] == '+' || szString[nPos] == '^' || szString[nPos] == '!' || szString[nPos] == '#' )
    {
  // Is there a modifier requested?
  if (szString[nPos] == '+')
     bShift = true;
  else if (szString[nPos] == '^')
     bControl = true;
  else if (szString[nPos] == '!')
     bAlt = true;
  else if (szString[nPos] == '#')
     bWin = true;

++nPos;            // Next char
    }

ch = szString[nPos++];      // Get next char

// Is the next char a { or a simple key?
    if (ch == '{')
    {
  // Special key
  if ( ReadToChar('}', szString, szTemp, nPos) )
     bRes = false;      // Failed - no close bracket
  else
  {
     // Lookup special codes-  Look up the index of the key
     while ( (n < NUMKEYS) && (lstrcmpi(g_szKeyTable[n], szTemp)) )
    n++;

// Is it a known or valid key
     if (n == NUMKEYS)
    bRes = false;        // Unknown
     else
     {
    if (g_cKeyLookupType[n] != SK_LOOKUP)
     bRes = false;      // Invalid
    else
     vk = g_nKeyCodes[n];
     }
  }
    }
    else
    {
  // Simple char
  vk = VkKeyScan(ch);

if ( (vk & 0x0200)  )      // CTRL required?
     bControl = true;

if ( (vk & 0x0400) )       // ALT required?
     bAlt = true;

if ( (vk & 0x0100) )       // SHIFT required?
     bShift = true;
    }

// Make sure only the VK code (lower byte) is passed back (sans shift states)
    vk = vk & 0xff;

// Don't allow non-modified keys for 0-9 and a-z (keylogger prevention)
    if ( (vk >= 0x30 && vk <= 0x39) || (vk >= 0x41 && vk <= 0x5A) )
    {
  if (bShift == false && bControl == false && bAlt == false && bWin == false)
     bRes = false;      // invalid
    }

// Free temp string memory
    delete [] szTemp;

return bRes;

} // GetSingleVKandMods()

-FunkyDo

Edited by FunkyDo