Email Checking

Is it possible with autoit, to check a email account using the mail/tcp/ip functions to give a response of 'new mail' & or ' 3 new messages'.

Kind of like gmail notifier for firefox.

yes, not easy to do. Maybe it's better to use an already exsiting tool for that...

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

Is it difficult in general, or only to make it work with firefox?

I don't plan on using it with anything but as a self executable.

Thanks for the response

firefox? How is firefox involved in e-mail checking???

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

He used firefox as an example.

Now you would need to learn POP protocol which I don't even know. Then you would need it to send you the e-mail data and count how many emails you recieved.

He used firefox as an example.

as an example for what?

as an example for what?

He wants to make a e-mail checker to see if he has any new emails on his POP3 email account.

I just did some simple tests and it looks pretty easy. For one, you need to know a couple bits of information

• Your POP3 server mine is pop8.sympatico.ca
  • Your POP3 Username
  • Your POP3 Password
Then you need to connect to your server with the port 110.

So

TCPStartup ()oÝ÷ Ù:,µªíÊ«L#¢yÞrب«­¢+Ù±½°ÀÌØíͽ¬ôQ
A
½¹¹Ð ÀÌØíÍÉÙɹµ°ÄÄÀ¤

To connect to your server.

Now a couple POP3 commands.

USER Username

Will send them your username then you need to follow it with

PASS Password

Pretty basic so far. Now if you get a +OK as you should with sending all this information, your logged in.

To find out how many emails you have you need to use the STAT command

STAT

You will then recieve something like

+OK 1 755

Meaning You have 1 email and its size is 755 bytes.

Not too hard is it?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pop email checker application written but I have a problem with 25 seconds of TCPTimeout delay --- thats right --- 25 seconds..

See my post: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry313934

Somehow I dont think anyone is goin to come up with an answer except with an external control that needs to installed/registered and paid for unless they let me in to the code to fix it with a TCP ConnectDelayed version that sets the socket & return value in a global variable/flag upon return...

"Its off, its off, its off I go to the wonderful wizard of 'python'..."

(pySystray + threads and hopefully can be compiled from what I have already done with my AutoIt Pop Email checker pseudo code...)

Unfortunately AutoIt really uses a Windows 3.1 programming model.

It doesn't have to have threads for my proposes but does need a non-blocking TCPConnect if not TCPIP: in general that would be enough.

Otherwise serious network applications are out even though some guy here has written a http server in it but I think he wasted his time. And COM controls etc are a waste of time unless they are drop in provided from unlicensed code that doesn't need to be registered first. Someone like to write it for me?

All it has to do is the equivalent of (if there were AutoIt threads):

Global $socket = """

Func DoConnect($serverip, serverport)

$socket = TCPConnect($serverip, $serverport)

Exit(Thread)

EndFunc

;Call the DoConnect thread/object/COMObject

SomeObjectThreadOrServiceFunctionCall(DoConnect, $serverip, serverport)

;THIS SHOULD BE A TIMER ACTUALLY BUT YOU GET MY DRIFT...

While $socket == """ or 0 say

;.. Do Our other precessing --- AND CONTINUE TO SERVUCE GUI/MENU REQUESTS ETC --- WHILE WAITING FOR SOCKET TO BE SET TO -n (some -@error) . OR +n ETC...

WEnd

While you are at it you could make the whole TCP... UDFs take a nonblocking flag/and or error and returned data variable that gets set to a value different from the illegal value initially specified..

Without this i will have to migrate my systray pop email widget to python...

Regards,

Matthew

Edited by mattjs

I could do this job in less time than it would take to do a COM control or port to python.

Initially just a non blocking _TCPConnect() that would lay the architectural foundation then for a non-blocking suite of TCP... UDFs to be added later...

With access to the TCPConnect() code of course...

Send me a mail...

Regards again,

Matthew

• 3 months later...

Hi Chip,

how would you did it if you were going thought proxy server like avg

thanks Beau

He wants to make a e-mail checker to see if he has any new emails on his POP3 email account.

I just did some simple tests and it looks pretty easy. For one, you need to know a couple bits of information

• Your POP3 server mine is pop8.sympatico.ca
  • Your POP3 Username
  • Your POP3 Password
Then you need to connect to your server with the port 110.

So

TCPStartup ()oÝ÷ Ù:,µªíÊ«L#¢yÞrب«­¢+Ù±½°ÀÌØíͽ¬ôQ
A
½¹¹Ð ÀÌØíÍÉÙɹµ°ÄÄÀ¤

To connect to your server.

Now a couple POP3 commands.

USER Username

Will send them your username then you need to follow it with

PASS Password

Pretty basic so far. Now if you get a +OK as you should with sending all this information, your logged in.

To find out how many emails you have you need to use the STAT command

STAT

You will then recieve something like

+OK 1 755

Meaning You have 1 email and its size is 755 bytes.

Not too hard is it?