identical controlIDs

MRCOLT

I quite often come across applications that use identically named controls, for more than one field on a screen.

ie.

(Field one)

Control ID: 11

ClassNameNN: Edit1

Text:

(Field two)

Text:

(Field three)

Text:

What is the best practices for working with fields with identical control names:

Current method : Tabbing between identical fields with send() but this is ineffective due to user being able to interupt tabbing process (by clicking on another field mid process) also (Do not wish to lock user input).

Ideas? :whistle:

• Moderators

I quite often come across applications that use identically named controls, for more than one field on a screen.

ie.

(Field one)

Text:

(Field two)

Text:

(Field three)

Text:

What is the best practices for working with fields with identical control names:

Current method : Tabbing between identical fields with send() but this is ineffective due to user being able to interupt tabbing process (by clicking on another field mid process) also (Do not wish to lock user input).

Ideas? :whistle:

You say you "often" come across this... I can't remember ever coming across it :) ... Have an example application for us to look at?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

You say you "often" come across this... I can't remember ever coming across it :whistle: ... Have an example application for us to look at?

Unfortunately not (though I wish I could), the application I speak of are all client-sever based so will not work unless you have access to the backend systems, without which it just will not run.

• Moderators

Unfortunately not (though I wish I could), the application I speak of are all client-sever based so will not work unless you have access to the backend systems, without which it just will not run.

You said you ran across it "quite" often, All of these "often" occurrences are from your backend system alone? If so, you know where to start with your questions :whistle: .

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

You said you ran across it "quite" often, All of these "often" occurrences are from your backend system alone? If so, you know where to start with your questions :whistle: .

The systems are complete unrelated too each other. ie different servers, different clients etc. The backend is basically databases.

I have no doubt that the issue is poorly coded client software. But short of rewriting the clients there is little I can do to fix this.

Which leaves me with the question if I can't change the client or databases, is there some way work around in AutoIt.

FYI the issue mainly concerns text fields in forms.

The answer to this would proably be the same to the question, how do you use a control that "Autoit window info" returns no values for?

My only answer so far is send ({tab}) your way to that control. Which is very ineffective.

• Moderators

The systems are complete unrelated too each other. ie different servers, different clients etc. The backend is basically databases.

I have no doubt that the issue is poorly coded client software. But short of rewriting the clients there is little I can do to fix this.

Which leaves me with the question if I can't change the client or databases, is there some way work around in AutoIt.

FYI the issue mainly concerns text fields in forms.

The answer to this would proably be the same to the question, how do you use a control that "Autoit window info" returns no values for?

My only answer so far is send ({tab}) your way to that control. Which is very ineffective.

Some controls (as the help file states) may look like standard MS controls, but in fact may not be (Which means interaction may not be possible).

You may look at something I wrote that is in the Example Script forum, called _ControlGetByPos() (or _CtrlGetByPos() can't remember what I called it).

Without an example application to help you debug, your questions will just end up in a loop, of us chasing your tail or vice versa. If they are on different servers (and I'm starting to get the feeling I know what you are doing or wanting this for), then I'm sure they have a public executable to run them so we could test for ourself what the issue may be.

Is the stuff web based? That may be what is causing the issue. It would be looking at the whole screen as a control, thus causing the issue. (That has happened to me)

If this isn't it, then never mind.....

Though many of the apps I am developing off are web based,

these apps unforunately are not.