Old DOS GUI - Can I avoid fixed time delays

kheston

I'm using AutoIT with an old DOS GUI. It works fine with Sleep(<somevalue>) between actions but I'm having to be pretty conservative with the amount of time I wait (longer is better).

I'd like to make things faster by polling the window to see if the screen is displaying desired text and use it to decide what keystroke to send next (and when) but can't make any of the methods I've read about work. Both StdoutRead and WinGetText return empty strings.

Suggestions?

• Moderators

I'm using AutoIT with an old DOS GUI. It works fine with Sleep(<somevalue>) between actions but I'm having to be pretty conservative with the amount of time I wait (longer is better).

I'd like to make things faster by polling the window to see if the screen is displaying desired text and use it to decide what keystroke to send next (and when) but can't make any of the methods I've read about work. Both StdoutRead and WinGetText return empty strings.

Suggestions?

Maybe use AdlibEnable() to do the polling function?

AdlibEnable('_OldDosCheck', 100);Poll function to do what you are normally doing every 100 ms

While 1
    Sleep(0x7FFFFFFF)
WEnd

Func _OldDosCheck()
    ;Whatever you are doing in your other script now
EndFunc

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.