C++ Books & Sites

Valik

Since this gets asked periodically and I'm tired of answering the question, here's a list of the books and sites I use or have used to learn C++.

Books:

• "The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)", Bjarne Stroustrup - I wouldn't exactly call this a beginner book. This was the book that taught me C++ but a lot of stuff was well over my head in the beginning since I had no prior programming background. I still use this book for reference and probably always will.
  • "Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition", Bruce Eckel - There are 2 books here, Volume 1 and Volume 2. Both of these books are free to download (I believe you can purchase physical copies as well). I've read both and for free books, they aren't too bad. Quite a bit easier than Stroustrup's although these won't become reference books.
Sites:
  • MSDN Library - For all things Windows-related. The August 2006 MSDN Library was posted as a free download. It can integrate directly with Visual Studio 2005 or be used stand-alone.
  • CodeProject - A lot of Windows examples for a wide variety of subjects.

• 2 years later...

I should have added this site years ago although to be honest I didn't really use it much. That's just changed since I was able to find the solution to a problem within minutes by reading this site. The site is, of course, C++ FAQ LITE.

• 1 month later...

I would like to add the site www.cplusplus.com: C++ Tuturial.

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I ran across this site some time ago, http://www.learncpp.com/ . It seems to be pretty extensive as far as learning the basics of C++, I don't have any experience with the language yet, but I'm hoping I might get something out of the information in here.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• 5 months later...

Im currently Reading

Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson

I just started but I really like this book because it goes at an evne pase and after every program explains what each section of source code means does and why it does that.

Sam's Teach yourself C++ in 10 minutes by Jesse Liberty

This book takes you about 10 minutes for each lesson so its good if you are on a busy schedule but 4 me its goes really fast and the chapters are so short its hard to understand some thing. If I had not read Beginning C++ Game Programming first I would have been lost in this book.

*the compiler that comes with Beginning C++ Game Programming is one of the best ive seen.

Carla

Edited by Valik
Spam link removed.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think that you could get wrong with choosing Ritchie's The C Programming Language as a book to start with as he is the man who started it all. It is very simple, though something that will bore those who are in the language for quite a while already but will surely benefit those who are just starting with it.

Also, it would help to go through the exercises presented online.

It's outdated.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 2 months later...

I started learning with 'Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 days'. Needless to say its taken longer than 21 days, (I have finished the first week after 1 1/2 years). I felt the object oriented part could be better, other than that it was good so far ;)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]My code does not have bugs! It just develops random features.[/font]My Projects[list][*]Live Streaming (Not my project, but my edited version)[right]AutoIt Wrappers![/right][/list]Pure randomness[list][*]Small Minds.......................................................................................................[size="1"]Simple progress bar that changes direction at either sides.[/size][*]ChristmasIt AutoIt Christmas Theme..........................................................[size="1"]I WAS BOOOORED![/size][*]DriveToy..............................................................................................................[size="1"]Simple joke script. Trick your friends into thinking their computer drive is haywire![/size][/list]In Development[list][*]Your Background Task Organiser[*]AInstall Second Generation[/list]BEFORE POSTING ON THE FORUMS, TRY THIS:

%programfiles%/AutoIt3/autoit3.chm

lol I have the c# book of 'Sams Teach yourself C# in 21 days' the first two weeks lessons were easy to understand Im busy with week 3 now, but becuase of autoit I already knew a lot of the things the book had to offer. Except for OOP,

[u]My dream is to have a dream...[/u]

• 7 months later...